USB Fingerprint Reader

karlroby 18:06 14 Dec 08

Hi everyone,

Im looking to buy a fingerprint reader that will work with windows vista x64. I have done a search on the internet and i have found some for sale at various websites that are quite expensive, the fingerprint reader will be used for remembering username and passwords for various websites. I have been looking at one from dell that costs £19.33 and im not sure if its OEM or somes with software click here If anyone has any recommendations on a product that does this then it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

GaT7 18:26 14 Dec 08

I feel these gadgets are gimmicky at best. It's better to use an encrypted software method, with the need to remember just 1 main password.

There are several free password managers out there. One of the best is the free Roboform click here. New free ver will allow only 10 passwords, but there's an older free version that supports 30 - v5.7.6, which can be downloaded from click here.

Other free password managers to try:
1. Access Manager click here (UK-based company. It requires the Microsoft .NET Framework click here - you may already have it depending on your OS)
2. Any Password click here (which I use alongwith Roboform as a 'backup')
3. KeyWallet click here 4. Oubliette click here
5. Key Folder click here
6. 4UOnly click here
7. LoginControl click here
8. Whisper 32 click here
9. More at click here

G

wiz-king 18:27 14 Dec 08

If you buy one be prepared for frustration. My gadget mad MD has registered all his fingers as users for his laptop to ensure that he can get one of them to log in. Not over impressed.

karlroby 18:38 14 Dec 08

Crossbow7
The reason i want one is for a visual impaired person and i thought it would be of great help for them for ease of use for logging into many different websites.

wi-king

I have got one built into my Dell Sudio17 laptop and have been using the fingerprint reader nearly everyday for the last two months without and problems and that is with one finger registered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant