Is USB 2.0 Cable different from USB 1.0 cable?

JerryJay 23:24 14 Nov 03

Is USB 2.0 Cable different from USB 1.0 cable?

Forum Editor 23:42 14 Nov 03

it's not.

DieSse 00:52 15 Nov 03

As I understand it, that-s not the full story, FE.

USB2 High speed cables MUST be twisted pair, and fully shielded, and the wire guage spec is higher than that for USB1.

USB1 cable specs are not so strict / and many cases with USB1 front ports only had ribbon cable / whereas all the ones with USB2 front ports appear to have the correct cables.

It is true to say that many USB1 cables will meet the USB2 specs / probably more and more these days, for ease of manufacturing - but they-re not actually required to.

So for safety sake always buy USB2 High Speed cables, of good quality.

JerryJay 19:58 15 Nov 03

Thank you for the info. It is really helpful. Do
you know any online supplier who sell cheap USB2.0

DieSse 20:53 15 Nov 03

All USB cables are cheap - get good quality ones specified for USB2 High Speed.

It's not generally appreciated that USB2 has three speeds - and only items marked High Speed should be specified to work at the highest of the three speeds (of course others MAY work - but the High Speed logo should guarantee the specification)

You don't need to go on-line for them, any local computer shop will stock them.

TheTerminator 21:01 15 Nov 03

i thought i had to buy usb 2 cables for my devices and I went into a shop explaining that I had USB1 devices and Cables and wanted to get USB2 cables for my devices. They tried to flog me some extortionately priced cables - i thought it was steep, so went out and spoke to another computer shop who explained what was what... Almost another case of rip of Britain (or just badly informed/poor communicating workers)

spuds 22:09 15 Nov 03

As stated, get the best available. Ask before you buy, and do not be fobbed off with the salesperson saying that you must have the super dupper, these will do anything expensive type.Anything with a good name will do.

Also consider the length of cable, you intend to use. I had a problem with a USB printer and scanner. The first thing that I was asked by the helpline, was the length of the cable I was using.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…