US price checking

Lú-tzé 10:23 18 Jun 03

I find that I have to go to the US at the weekend for about ten days or so and thought that it might be a good opportunity to pick up a few things if I can find the right price - in particular an MP3 player.

Can anyone point in towards price checking engines so that I can do some research before going? I don't want to do some shopping there without an idea of possible cost for the similar items in the UK.

Along the same lines, what is the situation with excise charges? Do I have to pay VAT on goods when I bring them into the UK?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikef. 10:53 18 Jun 03

If you spend over £145 you have to declare it then you will be charged import duty and VAT, you can look at HM customs site click here

Lú-tzé 12:16 18 Jun 03

Thanks for that clarification mikef; any suggestions for finding prices?

mikef. 13:27 18 Jun 03

Go to click here gives you several US price comparison sites.

Lú-tzé 16:24 18 Jun 03

Thanks very much, mikef., there is plenty there to be getting on with.

Tenner 17:45 18 Jun 03

... and what about the warranty ? It'll be U/S in the UK, I think you'll find

Regards

Lú-tzé 21:21 18 Jun 03

Tenner - I have looked at some prices and cannot see any point in making a substantial purchase in the US. In light of import duty, VAT and the possible troubles with a warranty which you point out, I think I will spend my money here on this side of the Atlantic.

Danoh 12:12 20 Jun 03

Thats a pretty comprehensive list for US & UK! Have a great shop, Lú-tzé!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…