Urgently need an A2 printer. Please Help!

dazw2001uk 11:19 07 Mar 05

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I have been developing my own music fanzine and I'm now at the stage where I need to print.

Due to my printers limitations and my desire to have the publication size at 10" x 10" I now need a printer that can print upto A2 and if possible double sided.

I have searched the internet for a while but with so many mixed reviews it has been hard find any positive feedback aimed at towards one printer.

I have a budget of £400 at the momment but I would still would like to know the best printer no matter how much it costs please.

Can anyone help please? Cheers.

€dstowe 14:19 07 Mar 05

I'm very doubtful that you will get an A2 printer for the budget you have. Add another £1000 and you may get something basic.

A2 printers are also very expensive to run and tend to be slow.

How many of the fanzines are you wanting to print? In my company, it is not economical to print anything greater than 500 copies with the inkjet or laser the equipment we have here, whatever the size and format. Even though we have large format printers, because of costs, we would only print ten copies maximum on those. Anything greater than that we farm out to a contract printer.

€dstowe 14:21 07 Mar 05

Note, if you do contract out, your costs will be relatively greater if you are wanting a non-standard size/aspect ratio. 10" x 10" falls down of both counts.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging.

Have a word with a printshop. They will advise you on the best way forward with this - and possibly save you a lot of money.

wiz-king 06:04 08 Mar 05

you will waste, most leaflets, newspapers and magazines are the size they are so as to minimise the wastage of paper. If you want to go non-standard you have to pay for the extra paper and the extra cost of cutting it off! As €dstowe said find a local printworks.

dazw2001uk 08:23 08 Mar 05

Thanks for both your advice, I think I'll have to have another think about the size, however I've seen A2 printers take custom sized paper but its getting the paper.

dazw2001uk 08:29 08 Mar 05

Ok I accept my original budget was a little low...

I'm still looking for an A2 printer with:

custom sized paper feed(?)
double sided

Please help me.

€dstowe 09:11 08 Mar 05

If you insist on getting a large format printer, go the the actual manufacturers website (Canon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Xerox etc.) in the first instance to find out what is available. Your normal on-line retailers are less likely to carry stock of these small selling items.

All A2 printers I am aware of will accept smaller size paper.

Regarding duplex (double sided) printing you would be best printing one side and manually turning it over. Duplexing mechanisms add a lot to the cost.

I am still of the opinion that you would be far better talking to your local print shop about this.

Zaphod 3 10:33 08 Mar 05

Sorry I have to agree with €dstowe on this.

I work in the Reprographics department for a firm of lawyers. We have the facility to do large format stuff, however any brochures or magazines the firm produces,larger than A3 folded to A4 are produced by outside printers.

Generally the running costs of a large format printer would be beyond the scope of a one man band, unless he is running a print/copy shop.

Zaphod 3 10:45 08 Mar 05

P.S. Forgot to say if you can reformat the pages into A4 and you use a print/copy shop with a Command Work Station Controller they can format your pages into a magazine format, from the document from a variety of electronic sources,i.e. Pen drive, CD, e-mail.

€dstowe 11:05 08 Mar 05

No need to be sorry;-)

On your last point, that is why I recommended that dazw2001uk goes to his local printshop. They will be able to give the best advice regarding what is possible and what is within their capabilities to give the best results.

Always remember that the printshop wants your custom and will go out of their way to provide you with the best deal in terms of quality and cost. If, by chance, they don't then they shouldn't be in business so you take your custom elsewhere.

Remember, dazw2001uk, you'll have to sell an awful lot of copies of charge overmuch for the fanzine if you are amortizing an A2 printer into the costs.

dazw2001uk 12:13 08 Mar 05

I really appreciate all the advice given to me and I'll look into the printshop prices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009