uploading using MS Publisher 2003

ianlumley 12:58 11 Dec 05

I have recently upgraded my 'kit' to a laptop with broadband (Wanadoo). I have used MS Publisher (97) for a while to upload a website for my Choir (click here) with no difficulty. Now I get error messages saying I need to change proxy server settings etc. My 'hosting company' Telivo seem unable to describe what I need to do to make it all work again sensibly. Can anyone help? I'm no techie and some of the terms they use are way over my head. Any help appreciated.
John Lumley

ade.h 15:11 11 Dec 05

1) How can you upload a website from Publisher (a DTP program) - do you mean Frontpage?

2) Post this in the Webdesign section to get some input from Frontpage users, if that is what you're referring to.

pj123 15:26 11 Dec 05

ade.h, simple! That's how I created my first couple of websites using MS Pub 2000. Make your layout then go to File, Create website from current publication.

Then use an FTP (I use Cute) to upload it.

I soon found out though that it wasn't the best way as all websites created in publisher are converted to gif, (even the text is gif). So any amendments have to be made in the original publication, re-created and uploaded again.

I asked lots of questions in the Webdesign Forum and now use Dreamweaver.

Forum Editor 17:02 11 Dec 05

you'll find that Publisher is less than efficient when it comes to websites. It converts everything to .gif format, as he says, and that makes it difficult to make alterations in anything other than Publisher, which wasn't really intended as a mainstream web-design application in the first place.

In the long term you might be far better off with a 'proper' program, such as MS FrontPage, or NetObjects Fusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…