Upgrading a netbook

iscanut 15:10 31 Dec 10

I have a Samsung netbook and wondered if it is worth upgrading it from Win 7 starter to Win 7 Home Premium. I am going to increase the Ram to 2Gb. Has anyone done this at all?

chub_tor 20:02 31 Dec 10

I did just that with my HP Netbook, very worth while. Win 7 starter was a pain to use and very limited and the extra 1Gb of RAM is essential in my opinion. I still don't understand why Microsoft limits manufacturers to 1Gb when Windows is installed on a netbook, they should all have 2Gb in my opinion.

iscanut 21:04 31 Dec 10

Thanks

peugeot man 22:03 31 Dec 10

I agree with chub_tor
my Eee netbook works a treat with Win 7 Home Premium having upgraded RAM despite Win upgrade advisor saying NO!

dms_05 14:25 01 Jan 11

I have an MSI Wind netbook with 1 GB of RAM and that runs XP perfectly well. However W7 will need at least 2 GB (I have 4 GB n my laptop to run 64 bit W7).

If you fancy running one of the many Linux distro's then they run very fast in 1 GB on a netbook. I run Ubuntu and Jolicloud as a triple boot on my netbook.

ukpostcode 17:03 01 Jan 11

I did not think you could upgrade from Starter to Home in Windows 7.
Thought you had to buy a full version to do it?

chub_tor 17:20 01 Jan 11

Haven't heard of that limitation and I used a 3 license upgrade version to go from Starter to Home Premium.

chub_tor 17:24 01 Jan 11

My netbook in common with many others has only one memory slot and is limited to 2Gb RAM. Win 7 is OK with that and of course it is not being asked to do anything too taxing; netbooks are not normally used for intensive CPU or graphics applications that might need the extra RAM.

iscanut 09:59 02 Jan 11

There is a specific Microsoft licence that is for upgrade from Starter to Premium. There is no software as the input of the new licence key unlocks the extra features needed. Costs around £50 to £60 depending on where you buy it.

ukpostcode 15:29 02 Jan 11

Cheers for that.
You learn something new every day;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac