Upgrade to XP Pro

Inside Edge 10:02 18 Jan 06

I have a PC running XP Home, but I want to take advantage of the Remote Desktop feature in XP Pro. To use this, the host must be running XP Pro, although the Client PC(s) can be running anything post Win 95. Problem is, even though the MS website shows that XP Home license holders are "entitled" to upgrade to Pro, there seems to be no specific upgrade product for the Home to Pro step. I can only find upgrades from 98, 2000, Me etc. which cost far more than is reasonable for the smaller increase in functionality I'm looking for.

Has anyone seen what I need in the market place ? Or tried another product that will allow remote control of a host PC ? (PC Anywhere seems to be aimed at server based networks with corporate budgets). My ultimate aim is to be able to sort out all the difficulties my family get into on our home network when I'm working abroad.

Many thanks in advance for any info anyone can offer.

PaulB2005 10:18 18 Jan 06

"Problem is, even though the MS website shows that XP Home license holders are "entitled" to upgrade to Pro, there seems to be no specific upgrade product for the Home to Pro step."

XP Pro Upgrade will do the upgrade for you. there isn't a specific Home to Pro Upgrade.

PaulB2005 10:22 18 Jan 06

click here

The Step-Up Program - to allow Home Users to upgrade to Pro where you had to buy Pro within 30 days of buying a PC with Home Pre-installed to get money off your Pro purchase.

However "This program is being offered until February 28, 2002 in the US only."

bremner 10:46 18 Jan 06

MSN Messenger allows Remote assistance -I have succesfully used it on a number of occasions.

Stuartli 14:44 18 Jan 06

How about using RealVNC or LapLink?

RealVNC at:

click here

Laplink:

click here

Inside Edge 16:26 18 Jan 06

Thanks to all for your rapid responses.

PaulB2005 - this would have been ideal, but it took me a year to reach the point where I needed more functionality in XP. Since most PC's are shipped with Home, you'd think MS would keep such an upgrade on the books.

bremner - this is an interesting tip. I've since followed it up on the MS site to see just what the extent of sharing can be. It sounds suitable for my needs for sorting out assistance within apps, but when I went to their link to "read about using remote assistance" to get more details, it was a blind link. I'll look up the Instant Messenger Help when I get home.

Stuartli - Thanks for that, I'll go through the info on the VNC site - it may fit the bill, but bremner's tip sounds simpler if it'll allow enough control for most issues. Something along VNC lines may be needed to, for example, run configsys to help diagnose a problem - I'm not sure if Messenger's app sharing/remote assistance would allow that, or other "Administrator" level actions.

Has anyone used GoToMyPC ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac