Upgrade killed my PC

emmybee 17:11 29 Feb 04

Six weeks ago I downloaded a BIOS upgrade. It involved saving it onto a floppy and then booting-up with it. I followed the on-screen instructions, but when I restarted all I got was a flashing cursor on a black screen. My PC was dead. My local PC repair expert diagnosed a dead motherboard, and as it is a Medion PC, only a Medion motherboard would fit. I ordered one from Medion UK on January 14th. I'm still waiting..... The moral is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:45 29 Feb 04

never upgrade unless there is an overwhelming need to. I have rarely seen an overwhelming need. and I suspect most people a), upgrade because it is free and b), have no idea what the upgrade will do or how it will benefit them.

G

HXP 19:09 29 Feb 04

Hi,

I have upgraded a few PC's but never flashed the bois - mainly because a more skilled user at work did and ended up the same as you, a dead PC. He actually gor a replacement bios chip send to him ( from award I think) installed this and all worked ok.

The reason for flashing a bios is for compatability with newer processors / hardware but unless there is a clear benefit something to be approached with caution.

Point of my comment see if you can get a bios chip the one on my colleagues was a push fit so may be an option for you and not much to lose ?

HXP

PurplePenny 19:28 29 Feb 04

I had to flash the BIOS to support the size of my hard drive. No problem at all - but I did have fingers firmly crossed. I've also flash upgraded my modem twice, once to V90 and then again to V92. Not such a disaster if it goes wrong and thankfully it went smoothly each time.

There was a guy on eBay selling vouchers for flash-fried-chip repairs. I don't know whether he still sells them on there. You buy the voucher then if something does go wrong you send him the BIOS chip + voucher and he sends it back a couple of days later all ready to go. I thought at first that it seemed like a great idea for a scam - after all the majority of people buying the vouchers would never have cause to use them - but IIRC something convinced me that he was genuine.

PP

Rayuk 19:51 29 Feb 04

Sometimes you have to flash the bios because of hardware incompatabilities and cpu upgrades.

Agree most people who buy ready built pcs this is not much of a problem but for self builders it is sometimes nescesary,especially when using latest hardware.

So I would say here is a c) category for enthusiasts/self builders

davidg_richmond 20:39 29 Feb 04

flashed three times and not caught out yet.

the police will catch up sometime...

rickf 20:45 29 Feb 04

flashed my dvdrw w/o any probs but as said don't do it unless you really need to.

emmybee 23:35 29 Feb 04

Thanks, everyone. I did think of getting another bios chip, but decided to wait for the new motherboard initially. However, if I have to wait much longer I'll try that. I've nothing to lose now anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac