updating my pc...

jimdee79 22:20 14 Nov 05

could someone take a look at what i am going to buy to update my dell dimension 4300. its currently a P4 1.6ghz with 1 gb or RAM and i bought it in 2002. Are the below motherboard and CPU compatible?

I am buying the following motherboard:-
click here

the following CPU:-
click here

i am also going to buy a new power source and i already have a brand new graphics card. I need to get some new RAM too as my current PC currently uses pc133 RAM. I am going to get an expert to fit all these new components at my local PC World.

thanks!

jbp1982 23:23 14 Nov 05

Your replacing almost everything except the case, why not buy a barebones system and fit the parts you already have like your graphics card?

motherboard is socket 939

the cpu in your link is socket 754

the answer to that question is no.

GaT7 23:26 14 Nov 05

Noticed that the motherboard (mobo) is a socket 939 while the CPU is a socket 754. Also the Asrock mobo apparently takes AGP or PCI-E graphics card (g'card) click here (no info at the Dabs link).

A suggestion: Keep the 939 mobo & change the CPU to S939 click here.

Another would be to buy both from the same retailer to save on postage costs. So S939 mobo options at eBuyer would be (included the cheaper ones only), depending on your new graphics card (AGP or PCI-E):

AGP: click here

PCI-E: click here / click here / click here / click here.

More S939 motherboards (sorted by ascending prices): click here - these include AGP or PCI-E interfaces so choose one that matches your g'card.

All the best with purchases & new build : ) G

jack 08:44 15 Nov 05

I think all that may be said about 'updating'
a proprietary machine has been said but as a closure
see

click here

961 09:08 15 Nov 05

As jack says it is not a good idea to try to upgrade Dell

Apart from anything else some Dell machines have different wiring colours for power which can be dangerous if you start to fiddle

Diodorus Siculus 09:19 15 Nov 05

As 961 hints at, be careful of the Dell PSUs - they used to be non-standard for home customers.

Diodorus Siculus 09:20 15 Nov 05

Also, why not take a look at Novatech's bundles:

click here

click here

These are pre-assembled and will save you time and hassle.

jimdee79 20:29 15 Nov 05

thanks for the advice guys... you've been a great help. Bacically i bought the following graphics card:-

click here

i then realised that you need a pci express port to use it which my dell dimension 4300 from 2002 does not have. So i need to either upgrade my dell or buy a new one altogether with a pci express port. What would you guys suggest considering i'm on a budget of around 300 pounds.

thanks...

jbp1982 20:43 15 Nov 05

I'd suggest a barebone system, then transfer your current hdd and dvd drives into it along with your new graphics card.

Dio Sic has suggested some good ones. Remember you'll need to get another copy of windows as the one in the dell machine won't transfer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…