Update virus definitions - XP limited user account

JulieR 13:30 08 Jan 04

Is there an antivirus program which will allow the automatic updates, particularly of virus definitions, to run whilst I am logged on to a "limited" account on XP?

I run XP with a limited account for everyday use by the family and a password protected administrator account which I reserve for installing software, etc. (Keeps the children from installing games!) I have tried both Norton AV and McCafee VirusScan but find that the automatic update facility doesn't work properly unless I log on as an administrator, hence my AV definitions are not always right up to date. I need to subscribe for another year of updates, so this may be a good time for a change if anyone can recommend something that will do what I need.

Many thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 13:46 08 Jan 04

click here for a free avg to european users,can be configured to auto update

johnny.

Big Elf 13:47 08 Jan 04

I don't know whether this would work:

Grisoft AVG Free edition from click here but as it's free you could experiment. You have to uninstall your current AV first (I think).

Jester2K 13:54 08 Jan 04

AVG does auto update under Limited Account - just tried it theres anew update dated the 8th !!!

terminus 15:00 08 Jan 04

Try Avast no need to configure the updates usually two at least a week click here and it's free also.

terminus 17:08 08 Jan 04

It occured to me you may also want a firewall?
Avast have a remarkabley low cost system designed to work with the kerio firewall click here
It's free for home use and passes all the same tests Zone Alarm does.

I used ZoneAlarm on another PC but this one?? for some reason just wont accept it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…