unsubscribing from Onspeed

fly 16:37 01 Dec 05

At the end of the subscribing year, Onspeed send an email saying they will automatically deduct the next years subscription using ones credit card details, unless they receive a phone call (National rate).
Two points here: 1. They are retaining full details of a credit card and 2.Rather a reprehensible way of getting another years subscription I think. Surely one should be advised of the renewal and left to resubscribe by email?

I did not find it made any difference to the speed of broadband in spite of their claims

Stuartli 17:46 01 Dec 05

Hardly surprising - national newspaper advertisements by the company claims broadband speeds from dialup connections...:-)

As I've often commented in the forums seems very much like a case of the Emperor's new clothes....

Wuggy 22:12 01 Dec 05

I've always been amazed at Onspeed's claims of Broadband speeds for £25 per year. They compare this to a broadband connection which they claim costs approx. £25 per month and refer to this as a 'no brainer'. Of course what they omit from their advert is the fact that you have to pay for a dial-up connection in the first place. I am currently on Wanadoo broadband 2mbps which costs £17.99 per month. Previous to this I was on Wanadoo Any Time dial-up which cost £14.99 per month. Add to that the £2.08 which Onspeed costs amd the difference is actually 92p per month for which I get a download speed of up to 40 times basic dial-up and don't get kicked off every 2 hours. I know what is a 'no bnrainer' as far as I am concerned. I wonder why Advertising Standards allow such an advert in it's present form. To my mind it's verging on the downright dishonest.

Stuartli 00:17 02 Dec 05

For all its faults, Tiscali offers something very, very similar to ONSpeed - and it's free...:-)

The word accelerator comes to mind.

Stuartli 00:29 02 Dec 05

>>that you have to pay for a dial-up connection in the first place.>>

Not quite true. It's claimed to speed up an existing dialup connection to approach/be virtually the equivalent of BB speeds or, alternatively, BB speeds could be/should be even faster.

Under certain circumstances this might, just might be true, but there are well known IE tweaks that give very similar results merely with a little delving into the registry. See:

click here

Wuggy 01:33 02 Dec 05

However you look at it you still have to pay first for some kind of internet connection, be it dial up or broad band. All Onspeed does is piggy back on the top of that connection but they fail completely in any of their adverts to point that out. They merely stress the difference in price between a broad band connection and Onspeed itself. What might be referred to as 'a sin of ommission'.

Stuartli 11:14 03 Dec 05

Much though I have no truck with ONSpeed, its website clearly states:

Dial Up - 5x Faster, Broadband - 3x & GPRS - 8x Faster

Can't see any reason to become confused...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…