UK broadband is slow and costly

anchor 08:53 17 Jul 07

I read in todays Daily Telegraph a report from the OECD.

It states;

"Out of the 30 richest nations, the UK is ranked just 19th when it comes to the price of monthly broadband, the latest research from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development shows. The OECD figures suggest that on average we are paying £14.50 a month for broadband, compared with just £5.40 in Sweden, less than £8 in the United States and £8.20 in France.

More importantly, we are not enjoying some of the super-fast speeds that many of our international peers have access to. In Japan, for instance, it is possible to enjoy broadband speeds of 100 megabits per second, while in Britain it is difficult to get much more than 8 Mbps, because most UK houses are still connected to broadband exchanges via old copper wires".

wee eddie 09:19 17 Jul 07

OK. It is probably true in some areas of Ultra-modern High-density City buildings in, for example, the centre of Tokyo. That is not the case for a hill village in the North of the Country.

There are many parts of France and Sweden where "Legacy" Infrastructure makes the situation similar to ours.

If you bought a Flat in Canary Wharf, I feel sure that you would be able to access something a little faster than "Dial-up"!

Stuartli 11:12 17 Jul 07

My "up to 8MB" broadband is free...:-)

spuds 11:37 17 Jul 07

When BT were, and perhaps still are, the main providers of telecommunications, their methods seem to have been one of provide and replace when essential. This then brought the situation to providing a 'lower' service in the long term. Having to update at this late stage is going to cost a vast amount of cash, something that BT no longer have, hence shipping out or selling their product to other companies.

I have a situation now, where BT state that I should be able to receive 5.3MB on a 8MB connection. Tiscali state that they can only provide 3.2MB, yet Talk Talk are suggesting better figures. All this is via the same line and BT Exchange facility, but using equipment in the exchange being provided by the ISP.Just doesn't make sense.

I was also offered this month by my present ISP Tiscali, free line rental into my present package of £14.99 per month. At present I am paying Tiscali £14.99 per month for internet connection and BT £11.00 per month for line rental plus telephone calls. Transferring my BT account to Tiscali, will save me £11.00 per month with free line rental plus cheaper phone calls, and free calls at the weekends. This sort of commercial exercise, makes the mind boggle.

spuds 11:40 17 Jul 07

" plus extra for telephone calls"

anchor 11:40 17 Jul 07

Stuartli: Free up to 8Mb; which ISP are you using?.

Stuartli 12:46 17 Jul 07

TalkTalk..:-)

Stuartli 12:48 17 Jul 07

>>...but using equipment in the exchange being provided by the ISP. Just doesn't make sense.>>

It certainly does to the ISP from the point of view of cost.

spuds 13:11 17 Jul 07

I was perhaps referring to the discrepancies and cost savings between individual providers, who are all using the same or similar facilities.

Dipso 16:33 17 Jul 07

"I have a situation now, where BT state that I should be able to receive 5.3MB on a 8MB connection. Tiscali state that they can only provide 3.2MB, yet Talk Talk are suggesting better figures. All this is via the same line and BT Exchange facility, but using equipment in the exchange being provided by the ISP.Just doesn't make sense."

These figures are all guestimates and tend to be conservative. No ISP can give you an exact figure as it's all down to your line. It's likely however that you would connect at the same speed with all of the above but whether you would get the same download speed is another matter and is more down to the ISP's network capacity. Your downstream attenuation and noise margin are the best indication of what speed you are likely to receive.

Totally-braindead 20:06 17 Jul 07

I had the BT engineer in yesterday because I was having connection problems, it appears my router may be at fault.
I was using a Speedtouch one, I connected my 3 year old Sagem up to the PC and set that up and my speed doubled. So part of the slow connection might be the hardware you are using. I was getting typically 1.9 meg connection on the Speedtouch and am now getting about 4 meg on the Sagem, all because I changed my hardware.

Regarding us being dearer for Broadband than elsewhere it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5