Two years warranty from shops??

john bunyan 18:45 25 May 09

In the paper today it claims that there is a EU law that gives buyers a two year warranty - not the usual one years one. A test case found Tesco backing down over a TV for which no parts could be obtained within this period. Anyone have further info?

lotvic 21:36 25 May 09

It is/was discussed on this pca thread (2005) click here looks as if it is 2years

john bunyan 23:14 25 May 09

Thanks. Will mark as resolved.

Forum Editor 23:23 25 May 09

It was included in the EU Sales and Guarantees Directive, but in reality we have far better consumer protection in the UK, and you can claim for faulty goods for up to six years after the date of purchase, depending on the circumstances.

BT 08:01 26 May 09

They are covering this on BBC breakfast this morning.

anchor 11:33 26 May 09

FE: Yes, in principle you are correct. However, in many if not most cases, companies refuse to honour warranties beyond the normal 1 year.

To resolve this it may be necessary to go to court.

oresome 13:12 26 May 09

I think this story started life with the retired school teacher who won a spat with Tesco regarding his failed Technika TV.

What I found disturbing about the story was the admission by Tesco that no spares were held for this own brand TV and it was therefore considered unrepairable.

They may be a cheap brand, but can still cost a few hundred pounds which turns out very expensive if an early failure means it has to be scrapped.

john bunyan 13:40 26 May 09

Yes, that was what I read, and maybe, wrongly, assumed that it more or less extended the "no quibble" replacement warranty, as opposed to the point on "reasonable quality" claims for up to 6 years.

Forum Editor 19:00 26 May 09

The point I was making is that you don't have to concern yourself with the terms of a manufacturer's warranty - your contract is with the supplier, which in most (but not all) cases is not the maker, at least in the field of consumer electronics it isn't. Your protection under current consumer law is better than that which is afforded by a manufacturer's warranty in any case.

Legislators have long recognised the problems associated with consumers having to deal with manufacturers who may be many miles away, or even in another country, when they tend to buy locally which is one of the reasons so much onus falls on the seller. When you sell something you assume responsibility for its suitability for purpose, and your customer knows where to come when things go wrong.

anchor 09:37 27 May 09

FE: Thanks for your comments. However, have you ever tried and been successful in enforcing this.

For example, many motor cars have only a 1 year warranty, even though they may cost many thousands of pounds. My expensive BMW car came new with a 1 year full, and a further 2 years limited warranty. After the 1st year, I had to pay for quite a number of things that would not be classed as wear and tear. Both the dealer and BMW refused to cover the cost.

Personally, I would much prefer to have the longer warranty fixed and written down.

sunnystaines 10:05 27 May 09

anyone know the regulations ref so it can be quoted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…