Twelve Months Of Hell With Dell

Andrew P 18:24 22 Apr 03

Hi Everyone. I have been having lots of problems with Dell Computer Corporation recently which I would like to let you know about. I have written a report of my experiences with them, and would be very grateful if you could read it and give me some advice on what to do. Before you start reading, I need to warn you that the report is LONG, so it will take quite a while to read. I have split it up into several postings. The first is below, and the rest will follow shortly. Here it is:

--------------------------------------------------

I purchased a Dell Dimension 8200 computer in December 2001, costing £2108.25. However a year has passed, and only now am I able to use it without (many) problems. I have written to Dell via email, demanding my machine be collected and the full amount paid refunded in full, as their terms and conditions state that the product will be free of defects for a period of 12 months. However this request has been ignored, with Dell saying that I can only return a computer within 7 days of purchase. Various problems have occurred, mostly hardware related, of which a lot remained unsolved for a period of time that simply wasn’t acceptable. Details of these follow.

Firstly, the computer was received on the 12th December 2001, and was set up on the 23rd, ready for Christmas. Although the computer had apparently been ordered successfully, no confirmation was sent to me. I had to phone Dell again to ask for confirmation to be sent out. It arrived 3 days after the actual computer. At the time of ordering, the specification of the machine was ‘Top-Notch’, and apart from a USB 2.0 PCI card and scanner being added in August this year, the machine has always remained the same. The specification is as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.0GHz,

Western Digital 120GB Hard Disk Drive with 8MB Buffer,

1,024MB RD-RAM (4x256mb modules),

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500 64MB AGP Graphics Card,

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card,

Conexant HSF 56k V.92 Voice/Data/Fax Modem,

15” Dell Branded TFT Flat Panel Monitor (Analogue; Model No. E151FP),

16x Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive,

24x/10x/??x (Write/Rewrite/Read) Lite-On CD-RW Drive,

3.5” Floppy Disk Drive,

Windows XP Home Edition,

Office XP Small Business Edition,

3 Year Next Business Day On-Site Warranty.

The first thing I noticed was that the computer didn’t seem that much faster than my old one – A Tiny with an Intel Pentium II 350MHz Processor, 64MB of RAM, a 6GB Hard Disk and Windows 98 First Edition. Thinking I was expecting too much, I ignored the problem. But it seemed to get slower and slower, until eventually it wouldn’t respond for 6 minutes after boot-up. I asked for advice at the helproom forum, but no one could offer a solution, so I was forced to format and reinstall Windows XP. In the

Andrew P 18:26 22 Apr 03

process, I lost all of Dell’s settings, but at least my computer was working again, right? Well, In February 02, the same thing happened again, so I did the same thing to resolve it – format and reinstall. So now that was solved, and the computer would boot up in 40 seconds. But it still seemed rather slow overall. At this point, I decided to check whether everything was working properly, so I inserted the Dell Diagnostics CD provided with the computer. First I ran the graphics card test – and the screen filled with crosses arranged to spell the word ‘FAIL’. I hadn’t noticed any problems with the display, and the test was simply called ‘GeForce3 Card Test’, so, thinking that my model of card was probably not supported by the test, I left it at that. Next, I ran the full diagnostics program to test all the hardware in my computer. It was taking ages, so I decided to cancel it.

Between March and August, the ‘slow boot up’ problem occurred once more, so I followed the same steps to resolving it. At least I had my CD-RW drive to back up my data before formatting. But it wasn’t long before that started going wrong as well. The drive would stop reading from or writing to any type of recordable/rewriteable CD’s. If I double-clicked the drive icon in the ‘My Computer’ window, I would get the error message ‘Incorrect function’. And also, if I put one of these disks in the drive whilst Windows was running, the CD would spin and spin endlessly, causing the computer to crash. I tried removing the drive in Device Manager, but when I rebooted the computer, Windows XP recognised it as a normal CD-ROM drive; therefore I could not back up my data. Also, the recording features built into XP weren’t there anymore – they simply didn’t exist. So guess what I had to do… format and reinstall! Again! But this time I lost all the data I had changed since my last backup. I was starting to get really annoyed with my PC, but I didn’t give up. Instead I set up a dual boot with Windows 98 and XP. However, within a week I noticed most of the problems reoccurring within 98 as well. This indicated that I was right – a lot of the problems were hardware related. When I knew, I removed 98 and XP, then set everything up as it originally was, with just XP installed. Surprisingly, everything seemed to work for about 3 weeks, but I knew another problem would be just around the corner. Sure enough, a fortnight later, the fans inside the computer started to make a LOT of noise. Then one day soon afterwards, I switched on the computer and it wouldn’t stop beeping. I immediately unplugged it, and left it for a few hours before switching it back on again. I got the message ‘Missing <nobr><a style="BORDER-BOTTOM: green 2px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:black" href="click here|82|60988|1|16|AdId=156251;link=click here|60988|1|16&AdId=156863&redir=click here" target="_blank" onmouseover="st(this,event,'Sun - save 50% off a wintel equivalent office computing environment');" onmouseout="ht();">Operating System</a></nobr>’, and it wouldn’t boot up. I attempted to run FDISK from a boot floppy disk – it said something along the lines of ‘FDISK cannot use this hard disk as it is invalid.’ Feeling a bit scared by now, I rebooted with the Dell XP disk in the DVD-ROM drive. I was greeted with a message somewhat similar to FDISK’s. Stuck for ideas, and unable to use the computer, I phoned Dell Technical Support for the first time. They said that I would need to create a new partition for Windows XP, and I told them that I had already tried. They then told me I couldn’t use FDISK to create a partition for XP, and that I had to use the XP CD. I explained that I couldn’t actually open FDISK anyway, and that I had already tried the XP CD. Besides – you CAN install XP on a partition created with FDISK – if you couldn’t, then you wouldn’t be able to upgrade from 9x to XP. Anyway, they then led me through a debug procedure, which erased all the information on the hard disk. I was then able to reinstall Windows – but the fans were still rattling and making a noise. However the comp seemed to be working. It was nearly August. I took

Andrew P 18:29 22 Apr 03

In the above post there is lots of random text that appeared from nowhere. The sentence it covers up should say:

'I got the message 'Missing operating system ', and it wouldn't boot up.'

Andrew P 18:30 22 Apr 03

this opportunity to install a Canon CanoScan D1250U2F scanner, and the USB 2.0 PCI card which came with it. These worked flawlessly. But the problems with the PC were far from over. They were only just beginning. Quite often, I would get the message ‘Windows has detected a critical hardware failure. Please restart to restore full functionality.’ The screen would then go blank for a few seconds, before coming back on in 640x480 resolution with just 16 colours. And trust me - Windows XP looks AWFUL with those settings, ESPECIALLY on a TFT monitor! Everything looked like its equivalent from Windows 2000 (E.g. Icons, Start Menu, Title Bars, Task Bar, Buttons…), there was hardly any colour, and everything was HUGE! If I tried to reboot the computer like it said to do, or do anything involving graphics, even simple things such as minimising/maximizing windows, the computer would crash. The only way I could get it working again was to unplug it for approx. 1 hour, then switch it back on. It would then start up successfully. If I tried to switch it back on any earlier, the comp. would just reboot and reboot and reboot and… you get the point. Throughout August, these messages got more and more frequent. It was the beginning of September when, after approx. half an hour of doing anything on the computer, multicoloured blotches, lines and shapes etc. would appear on the screen. More and more lines etc. gradually appeared, until you could not see anything, because they would totally obstruct the screen. The computer would eventually show the error message detailed above, and the problems following that error message would also occur, aswell as the lines, shapes etc. still being on the screen. I tried the obvious things, such as reinstalling the drivers and Windows XP, and even formatting (again!), but this didn’t help. In Mid-September, the lines etc. would obstruct the screen within 5 minutes, the ‘Critical Hardware Failure’ message and resolution problems would occur within 10 minutes, and after approx. 15 minutes, whether you did anything or not, the computer would completely crash. So I made another phone call to Dell. A man named Roger answered. I told him of the problem, and said that I thought it was related to the graphics card. He said no, it was a software problem, and told me to use System Restore. However, for some reason, there were no points available that I could restore to. He said that system restore was switched off, and I should switch it back on. I explained that if System Restore was switched off, then the program wouldn’t open in the first place, and that if I switched it back on, there still wouldn’t be any restore points, because the program wouldn’t have been monitoring my computer. However he still insisted that it was switched off, so I checked, and it was switched ON. Stuck for ideas, he told me to format my computer, which he said would fix the problem. I said that I had already done that, and that it didn’t make any difference. I also said that, now the computer was only in a usable state for 5 minutes after boot up, I was unable to back up my data. He said that I would have to format the computer if I was to solve my problem, and that it was impossible to save my data. I gave in, and said I would format once more. He simply said ‘OK. Thanks for calling. Bye’, and hung up. I couldn’t believe that Dell simply rely on the System Restore program to fix problems – and telling a customer that the only choices they have are to use system restore, then format if the problem is still there, is NOT what I expect from customer support. One of the reasons I bought a Dell was because of their so-called ‘Award-Winning’ service, support and reliability. I think that the award they won must have been for being the rudest, most unhelpful, and most downright irritating computer company. Customer Support reps hanging up on me is defiantly NOT one of the things I

Andrew P 18:31 22 Apr 03

look for in a company. So I formatted, just for the sake of it. I mean, I’d done it 11 times before. As I expected, it made absolutely no difference. The problems were still occurring, and the PC would only boot up again after being left overnight. So I phoned again. This time was somewhat better than the last – another person answered, and told me to run the Diagnostics test from the Dell ResourceCD. He said it would take a long time, and he was laughing when he said it. Now I know why – It took 11½ hours! The test had found TWENTY FOUR errors, all labelled ‘Critical – Device Failed Diagnostics’, and most were to do with the… GRAPHICS CARD! I tried to phone again to tell them of the errors, but they were closed. Guess why? Because it was SATURDAY! So I waited. 9AM Monday morning, I phoned back. I read two of the error messages to a girl named Maria (I could only read two – each error message contained a ton of letters and numbers taking up half an A4 page), and she went to check what they meant. When she came back, she confirmed that it was indeed the graphics card that was faulty. She told us that an engineer would come and replace the card the following day, Tuesday, at 4PM. We waited in, but there was no sign of him. We tried phoning Dell at 6 o’clock to see where he was, but they were closed. Typical. Anyway, an hour later at 7 o’clock, he phoned on his mobile to tell us that he couldn’t make it. Yeah right. More like he couldn’t be bothered. He said he would instead come the next day, Wednesday, at the same time, 4PM. So yet again, we waited. Finally, at 6:30 Wednesday evening, he arrived, 26½ hours late. He was in a rush, and didn’t seem to care that he was dealing with a £2,000+ computer. He wasn’t being careful at all. He laid the computer down on the table, and lifted the cover off. In my model of computer, a green lever holds the PCI/AGP cards down, instead of screws. I will call this lever ‘Clip 1’. Also, there is a sort of slot in the Graphics Card that another lever goes into to hold the card in place. I will call this lever ‘Clip 2’. It says in the computers manual that Clip 2 must be pulled back when inserting/removing a graphics card – this engineer lifted clip 1 only and yanked the graphics card out, and I heard something snap. I asked what the noise was, and he said that the cards need a lot of force to be removed – but I had installed/removed cards before, and never found that they needed to be forced. He then got the new card out of a CARDBOARD BOX – no bubblewrap or cushioning was protecting it – and tried forcing it into the computer, but it wouldn’t go. He took it out and tried again – and I heard another crack before the card went in. Next, clip 1 had to be put down again to stop any of the cards falling out of their slots. However, he obviously wasn’t thinking of that, because he tried to close the case with the clip sticking out the side! I had to point it out to him, to which he replied ‘I’m just testing something’ before putting the clip back down – but he had to but he had to put all of his weight on it to get it to clip in. He then closed the case, and booted up the now-silent computer. All of this time the computer had been plugged in and switched on at the wall, and the only cable he had unplugged was the monitor. There were actually lights on inside the computer! Anyway, when the computer had booted up, he replaced the 30.82 NVIDIA drivers which were installed (they were the latest ones available from NVIDIA at the time, released on August 7th 2002) with the drivers that were on the Dell Resource CD provided with the computer. These were from September 2001 – 11 months out of date! Even now, the latest drivers you can download from the Dell website are from December 2001 – Dell NEVER update their drivers. Once a newer model of graphics card has been released, Dell just forget about the older ones and don’t bother with any updates. He then

Andrew P 18:31 22 Apr 03

left. The date then was October 2nd. After all this, I was afraid that the graphics card might not be in it’s slot properly – so I felt around the back of the computer to check – and it fell out of it’s slot onto the sound card! I immediately switched the computer off, using a key combination, as the screen was now blank. I unplugged it from the wall and opened the case, so that I could attempt to re-insert the card. When I touched the card, I nearly burnt my fingers, and I’m not joking. It was THAT hot, even though the computer had only been on for 5 minutes. I realised that the snapping noises I had heard when the engineer put the card in were clip 2 snapping. This meant that the card was not held in place at the bottom. And the card was also severely bent out of shape at the top – so bad that clip 1 would no longer go down to hold the PCI/AGP cards in place. The reason the graphics card was like this was simple – it was moving about unprotected in the cardboard box during transit, and the engineer had further damaged it by forcing it into the computer. So, yet again, I knew something else would go wrong soon. It was two weeks later in the middle of October when the computer went from being really quiet to really noisy yet again. And 2 days later, the same problems as with the old card started re-occurring – there were once again huge lines and multi-coloured dots all over the screen. I could still switch the computer on however, even though you could hardly see anything on the screen because the lines and dots were in the way. I managed to send an email to Dell (but even this was hard because I literally couldn’t see what I was typing), saying that the graphics card was faulty, and that I had ran the diagnostics tests again – this time, there was only one error, however this was to do with the Graphics Card anyway. Within an hour, I got a reply from ‘Dinesh’ in Bangalore, telling me to… CHANGE SOME SETTINGS! I replied when I had done that, saying it made no difference, and that I knew it was a HARDWARE problem, not a SOFTWARE problem. He ignored me, and gave me a link to some drivers from June 2001. That’s 6 months before I even got the computer! He told me to download and install them, but… the link didn’t work! (I got to the page where it says the release date for the drivers and their size, but clicking the ‘Download Now’ button resulted in a ‘404: The Page cannot be found’ message.) I emailed back, telling him this, and that since Dell never update their drivers, I was currently running the 30.82 drivers from the NVIDIA website, which, as I have previously mentioned, were released much more recently (August 2002). He then asked if I had formatted, even though in my Original email I had already said that I had. I reminded him of this, and once again said that the graphics card was faulty – and that this had been proven by the diagnostics test on the Dell ResourceCD. He emailed back, and had obviously ignored my last email, as he asked for the MONITOR’S serial number and my address. I gave them to him, saying, yet again, that it wasn’t the monitor that was faulty – if it was, then the computer wouldn’t be giving error messages and crashing, and the diagnostics test wouldn’t detect it. I didn’t hear anything from Dinesh or Dell for a week – so I emailed them again. The next day, Dinesh sent a reply, saying “I have set up service of the MONITOR – You will receive a new one within the next 6 days”. Well, apart from the fact that I didn’t need a new monitor, I would like to remind you that this is a NEXT BUSINESS DAY ON-SITE WARRANTY we are talking about! Six days later, an engineer called Luke arrived. He looked at the computer, and said it definitely was the graphics card that needed replacing, and not the monitor. He took the old monitor anyway and replaced it with the new one (the same model and design). He said that I should email Dell again, and tell them that he said that the

Andrew P 18:32 22 Apr 03

Graphics card was fitted incorrectly and wasn’t in-situ, and that it was damaged and needed replacing immediately. He said that if I did this, he would return on Monday (it was Thursday) with the new card, and fit it correctly. I thanked him, and he left. An hour or so after he had gone, I noticed that my new monitor had 4 dead pixels – my old one didn’t have any. I also realised that the screen was a lot brighter – so I adjusted the brightness and contrast settings, but this made no difference. Upon closer inspection, I realised that the screen was coming away from the monitor casing, and two very bright white lights were shining through on either side. These were brightening up the screen a considerable amount. I emailed Dell once again – and got another reply from Dinesh saying that the new Graphics card had been dispatched and I would get it in… SIX DAYS! The following week I still hadn’t got the new card. So I emailed AGAIN. No reply. So I phoned. They said that there was nothing on record about a new graphics card, and they would phone back at around 4PM the next day to discuss it. Guess what – they didn’t. So another phone call was made. A lady answered – she said that she could see I had been emailing them, and would get someone to contact me. The next day, I had to start going to the library to use the Internet and to send and receive my emails, as my computer simply would not boot up anymore. As soon as you switched it on there were lines and dots everywhere, and it wouldn’t get past the BIOS screen – it just kept rebooting and making funny noises, so it had to be unplugged at the wall socket. So I went to the library, checked my email, and was surprised to find an email from Dinesh. So the lady on the phone HAD kept her promise and got someone to contact me. That’s the first time that’s ever happened. The email read: “There have been holidays here, so I couldn’t set up the dispatch of the card. You will have it soon. Regards, Dinesh Bhat, Bangalore. Always smile – it costs nothing”. Well – I WASN’T smiling. Dinesh had lied to me. He had said in his last email that the card HAD been dispatched, when he had just confirmed that it infact HASN’T been dispatched due to HOLIDAYS! What a pathetic excuse! I was disgusted. A week later, and still no card. I noticed at this time that I didn’t have any sound. I figured that, as clip 1 wasn’t holding any of the cards in place, the sound card had fallen out of it’s slot. I phoned Dell about the missing card, and was once again told that there were no records of any calls to them about graphics cards, this time by ANOTHER Indian who I could hardly understand. He said that, as there were no records, I would have to go through everything AGAIN. He gave me a case number, and told me to phone back after. So frustrated, I looked for a number in the UK to call Dell on, hoping that they would have some sense and understand me. I eventually found one, and was on the phone for over an hour trying to get them to do something to help me. Not surprisingly, they didn’t seem to care about anything. They said that they couldn’t do anything to help me, and that I should phone TECHNICAL SUPPORT(!) on 0870 908 0800 (I know that number off by heart now, as I have dialled it countless times in the last 12 months). When I explained that this was the number in the back of the computers manual, and therefore was the one that I had always used before, the person who I was speaking to shouted down the phone ‘WELL YOU’LL JUST HAVE TO TRY IT AGAIN THEN, WON’T YOU?!’ and slammed the phone down. I was almost in tears – how can they treat people like this? I decided to give the number one last try before throwing my computer out of the window. My call was answered be another Indian. I gave him my computers service tag (serial number to non-Dell customers) and told him of the problems. I also gave him the error messages from the diagnostics test. He said ‘I

Andrew P 18:33 22 Apr 03

want you to take the cable out of the monitor’. I said that the only cable that I could unplug was the power cable – the other cable (VGA) was fixed in. He then said ‘take the cable out of the graphics card’. I did this, but in the process, the card fell out of it’s slot. I told him this. He asked if I had unplugged the cable, so I said yes. He then asked ‘what is showing on the monitor?’ Getting really fed up, I said that there wasn’t anything – and there wouldn’t be, because he had just asked me to unplug it. He told me to plug it back in (why did he want me to take it out in the first place?) – I kindly reminded him that the graphics card had fallen out of it’s slot and was now lying somewhere inside the computer. He said that I needed to unplug the PC, open it, and put the card back in. I was shocked with this request – what if I had been a complete newbie to computers? Anyway, I opened the computers case, and after locating the card, I tried to put it back in. After a lot of pushing and shoving, it went in – just. At this point, I re-inserted the sound card, which, as I predicted earlier, had also fallen out of it’s slot. This went in easily, as it wasn’t damaged. But I couldn’t get clip 1 back down over the cards, as the graphics card was sticking out. I explained this to him, and he said that the clip was damaged and I would have to send the computer back for repair. (Please note that the clip we were referring to was clip 1 – not clip 2, which really was damaged due to the engineer forcing the card into the slot earlier on in the year. Clip 1 WASN’T damaged – I couldn’t get it down because the graphics card was deformed and sticking out of it’s slot, and was in the way of the clip. I didn’t mention clip 2 during this conversation.) I reminded him of the 3 year on-site next business day warranty that I had paid £116.33 extra for. He said that the clips cannot be replaced on-site, but didn’t give me a reason why. It took half an hour of his nonsense before I finally got him to realise that the Graphics card was faulty, not the clip holding it down. He said that he would book an engineer for the following Monday. That was five days away, so I pointed out the ‘Next Business Day’ part of the warranty. He said that it didn’t apply to home users, only businesses. Oh well, I knew better than to argue and risk getting cut off again. He was away for 10 minutes, leaving me on hold, listening to classical music. When he came back, he said ‘I have booked it for Monday’, and that was that. Honestly, that was the worst telephone conversation I have ever had. How thick can people get?! Monday morning, I went out for 10 minutes. As luck would have it, when I came back there was a note in the letterbox. It read ‘DELL – I called today but you were out. To reschedule your appointment, call the following number:’ – but it had been scribbled out – their engineers obviously don’t want anything to do with their customers. So I phoned the usual number again, told the lady who answered of my predicament, and asked her if she could reschedule my appointment. She went to check something, then came back. She said ‘the engineer called this morning, but you were out’. I told her that I knew that, and so I wanted to re-schedule my appointment like I said at first. I could hear her typing something in, then she said ‘you will be visited on Wednesday’. I pointed out the Next Business Day warranty again. The excuse this time was that there were no vacancies on the next day (Tuesday). That surprised me – when you buy a computer from them, you are told that they are the most reliable manufacturer in the world, but then when you need help, you find that all of their engineers are out fixing things. On Wednesday (around the 20th November, a week before I was going on holiday to Tenerife), an engineer I hadn’t seen before arrived. He knocked on the door, gave me the new card, and asked for the old one – WHAT?! He had expected me to remove the old card and fit

Andrew P 18:34 22 Apr 03

the new one myself! I was SO mad, I made him come in and fit it himself. At the same time, I showed him the monitor, and the lights shining through the side. He said that every monitor these days was like that – they were made that way. Absolutely pathetic! He didn’t know how to take the cover off the computer, and even after showing him the diagrams in the instruction manual he couldn’t work out how to do it. He had asked to use my phone to ring up customer support to find out how to do it, when I said I would have a go. He was quite surprised when I managed it the first time! I had taken the cover off the computer before, as I have already mentioned in this report, but it is pretty simple to do – you just hold in a button on the top and bottom of the computer, and lift the case towards you. And to think that they call themselves professional engineers! When he had fitted the card (which went in easily as it wasn’t damaged), he put the cover back onto the computer, and plugged the wires back in (he had removed ALL of them). However, when he was putting the monitor cable back in, guess what happened… The graphics card FELL OUT! He looked at clip 2 and said that because it was broken, it wouldn’t hold the card in place, but as long as I left the computer where it was, and didn’t touch it, it would be OK. I asked him was he sure that this was all I could do, and he said yes. After he had finished putting the card and the wires back in, he left. I looked round the back of the computer to make sure the wires were in the correct places. They weren’t. He had plugged the printer into the USB 2.0 socket that I had labelled ‘scanner’, instead of the USB 1.1 socket that I had labelled ‘printer’. He hadn’t plugged the scanner in at all – the wire was on the floor, and he had put the Green and Black speaker wires into the Green and RED sockets respectively. I put the wires back into the correct sockets, then switched the PC on. Finally, the lines, dots, weird shapes and error messages were gone! For the first time since September, I had a glitch-free computer! However, the drivers for the sound card had mysteriously disappeared, so I reinstalled them from the CD that came with the PC – Voyetra Turtle Beach (My sound card’s manufacturer) say that you should only install the drivers that your computer manufacturer provides you with, but the drivers on the Dell website were older than the ones on the CD. After that, I had most of the sound back. But things in Windows, such as starting up and shutting down, still didn’t make sounds. I checked in Control Panel, and found that, mysteriously, the computer was set to use the modem as the sound card! After correcting this, I had all the sound back again. The date then was the end of November 2002.

So that is my report of Hell With Dell, which has lasted for almost a year – that is, 11½ months. However, even now, I still have problems with the computer, such as the CD-RW drive refusing to read from or write to many high-speed CD-RW disks, even though the drive is a high-speed device with the high-speed logo. I have had a monitor in perfect condition replaced with a faulty one that has 4 dead pixels, DVD movies are very blurred, even in scenes where there is not much movement, and I am told that if I want clip 2 fixed, which was snapped by a Dell engineer, I have to send my computer back to them, which I have to pay for.

I still want a refund from Dell for this computer (or should a call it a piece of worthless junk?), as I have had nothing but broken promises, endless problems, and extremely rude and unhelpful customer ‘support’, as you can see from this report, which I wrote by hand whilst on holiday in Tenerife last week. It took me 5 days to write, and

Andrew P 18:35 22 Apr 03

takes up 8 sides of A4 paper. That’s how determined I am to get my money back. Hopefully I haven’t bored you too much!

So now I ask you, what should I do to get a refund from Dell? As I mentioned in the first paragraph of this report, I have tried emailing them asking for a refund, but they say that a refund can only be given within 7 days of purchase. However, I recall reading something in their terms and conditions which states that if a machine is found to be faulty within a year of purchase, they will either refund your money or replace the machine. Does this mean anything? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do to get a refund?

Many thanks for reading.

Regards,
Andrew P :o)

--------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT: Please note that I wrote this report at the beginning of December 2002. I now think it is too late to get a full refund, but I do not want Dell to get away with treating me (and probably other customers) like this. I would love to get at least some of my money back, but I do not want a replacement machine from them unless it is completely free and better than this one in every way. Even then I would have to seriously think about accepting it, as I don’t know if I can ever forgive them. One thing’s for certain – I will NEVER be buying anything from Dell ever again. What should I do now?

Thanks once again,
Andrew P.

mole44 18:52 22 Apr 03

go to the small claims court,get money and go to evesham.nice people nice computers,and there darn good computers as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…