tvlicensing.co.uk cookie on my PC - why?

panhandle 01:43 14 Jun 06

Does anyone know or have an opinion as to why the above cookie has appeared on my system? I have not been near their site, nor buying TV's or even researching TV's online. Is this Government agency spying on us?

€dstowe 06:31 14 Jun 06

Do you use the BBC website?

panhandle 10:29 14 Jun 06

Yes - I do look at it occasionally on my desktop - is there something built in there? I have not watched any TV news or programme clips.
The cookie appeared on my desktop.The odd thing is that my wirekless connected laptop has BBC as home page, but TVLicensing has not showed up there - yet.

€dstowe 10:39 14 Jun 06

I have several machines which use the BBC site regularly and all of these have the licensing cookie. Other machines that do not use the BBC don't have it.

It could be something to do with streamed TV services on broadband - these do (or will) require a TV license in the same way as a conventional TV set.

panhandle 10:53 14 Jun 06

Well, I am sure you are right! Maybe I cleaned the cookie off the laptop and did not register it. I cannot say I like this situation though, but thanks for the info.

How does it apply to laptops - I mean do you think we may need a license to view streamed TV when sat on a park bench or in a Cafe using a laptop?

spuds 11:22 14 Jun 06

All tv receiving devices have to be covered via a tv license, so sitting on a park bench receiving a 'Neighbours'or 'Top Gear' transmitted broadcast would come under this ruling.

Regarding the cookie, this would be as €dstowe suggested.Visit the BBC website and see what is left behind !.

terryf 11:51 14 Jun 06

Don't see it in my Firefox cookies, where would I look for IE cookies?

panhandle 11:53 14 Jun 06

Don't like your taste in TV, but the information is spot on. [no offence meant,honest!]

Spark6 12:10 14 Jun 06

I have the BBC news as my home page on desktop and laptop!

Confab 12:30 14 Jun 06

click here

Confab

bosmere 13:20 14 Jun 06

terryf if you have CCleaner you can see all your cookies under 'options'.

I was watching the footie yesterday via my laptop but have no tvlicensing.co.uk cookie on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…