tv/internet

wizzbizz 23:24 07 Sep 06

Hi l am looking for full internet and tv access through one tv in the kitchen. What tv would best support this and how would l go about it.
PS the kitchen has a data point to the network and an aerial point

Stuartli 23:58 07 Sep 06

A television set is probably the most unsuitable medium you could use for accessing the internet - the display technology of a TV and a computer monitor are vastly different for very good reasons.

You would do better using a cheap reconditioned PC monitor and, if you can, using a PCI or USB stick Freeview card for the TV transmissions.

In any case a kitchen environment isn't the best for such equipment...:-)

wizzbizz 00:06 08 Sep 06

So l should look a quality tfts then does anybody know of a tft that can be directly linked to the internet

Stuartli 11:17 08 Sep 06

Some TFT televisions can also be used as a PC monitor, but you basically still can't link "directly" to the Internet without a computer system.

Bush used to make a set top box, which you connected to a TV set, that sold for around £100 but it used its own proprietory website and a dialup link for a restricted Internet service.

neil79 12:19 08 Sep 06

There is a new digibox coming out soonish (next month or so i think i read somewhere) that is a freeview/PVR box that also lets you plug in broadband connection so you can have internet and download facilities for films. Can not remember who is selling it but a google search might be able to help you.

wizzbizz 14:12 08 Sep 06

will keep my eye out for that one cheers

FreddyNoFriends 01:13 13 Sep 06

I was in PC world the other day and they had a 17" widescreen TFT monitor/tv, with freeview built in, for about £180. They were knocking them out as a monitor option as part of their budget, "on offer" system costing £480 or thereabouts.
Looked OK for the money...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced