//some 3rd party need geo

TV tuner with no aerial connection??

jimmylove 07:02 12 Jun 04

Just got an email from Laptops Direct who I have done business with in the past. They are say:

Do you want to be able to watch crystal-clear Digital Television on your laptop or PC? With the new Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t USB tuner, you can watch all of Euro 2004 from the car, garden, office or beach!

OFFER DETAILS:

Receive all Digital Freeview TV channels
Free Digital Radio
Free Digital Telextex
Watch in Widescreen
Watch in resizeable window, allowing you to watch TV and work at the same time.
Sharp picture and clear sound.
Digital "Video" Recorder. Record TV shows direct to your hard drive and playback anytime.
Easy installation - simply plug in to the USB port on your laptop or PC.

ONLY £85 including VAT! (Offer expires 19 June)

Can this be true? Does it not need to plug into an aeriel socket or can it just plug directly into my lapopt and will pick up TV in the car, beach wherever? If it doesn't need an aeriel I'm ordering one right now but somehow I think they're being a little bit misleading...

James

bremner 07:20 12 Jun 04

click here and you will see you need a digital satellite antenna to attach to the unit. (Under System requirements)

Stuartli 09:38 12 Jun 04

You might be able to pick up Freeview (along with normal terrestial TV signals) if you attach one of the battery powered amplified portable wideband TV aerials.

One example:

click here

n2u 11:24 13 Jun 04

supply the full package unless u don`t read the requirements needed to get it fully functioning?

n2u

Stuartli 11:38 13 Jun 04

If you are going to buy this type of product you should first find out exactly what you are acquiring and its capabilities.

The specification and features are clearly detailed - if people can't be bothered to read them before purchase then they cannot be surprised if they regret it or are disappointed afterwards.

Many people would not want a satellite antenna nor wish to pay a subscription for a specific ISP service, so why should they have to pay for an overall package at an unncessary higher cost?

Salinger 12:28 13 Jun 04

The Nova-t requires a regular Terrestrial aerial.
The Nova-s requires a Satellite dish. The original query referred to the Nova-t.

Stuartli 14:32 13 Jun 04

The confusion arises because the Hauppauge link I have to the Nova-t has details about both digital terrestial and satellite TV transmissions and mentions a digital satellite antenna being required:

click here

The Nova-s has exactly the same (correct in this case) wording at the start of the page as for the Nova-t - the latter appears to be an error when compiling the information.

It is clear, with the Nova-t's lower down information, that it is for digital terrestial transmissions.

jimmylove

You have to provide a TV signal for the PC TV card to operate - the suggestion of an amplified portable aerial may well work, especially if you are in a strong signal area.

I can use a co-axial cable from the card's aerial socket and attach a portable aerial for mine to work, but it's even better with a feed off the front room TV's aerial lead (I use a co-axial cable adapter to link up to the one from the TV).

Just in case you are wondering why I don't just watch the TV, it's because it's directly behind me when I am using my computer...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…