TV graphics card v separate card v external tuner

ManWithHat 00:50 22 Aug 04

I'm about to replace my PC. As I've looked at possible machines I started wondering about including a TV tuner / PVR capability, which I hadn't had in mind when drawing up my spec.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of a combined graphics & TV card like a Radeon All in Wonder, a dedicated TV card and an external tuner attaching via USB?

Radeon 9800 Pro is roughly the same price option as a 9800 A-i-W SE. How do they (or equivalents) compare on PC graphics?

We don't have digital tv at the moment, and I'm wondering about killing two birds with one stone and getting a freeview compatible tuner.

This is a nice to have rather than a core requirement, so I don't want to go overboard on budget or hinder my main usage.

The machine will be used for some gaming (but more strategy than cutting edge action games - Rome Total War yes, Doom 3 no) and some manipulation of scanned photos (but I won't be going into digital photography until whenever I next replace my slr camera) but otherwise nothing graphics intensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…