TV card internal V's external

field divison 12:23 10 Mar 06

Hi all,
I want to buy a tv card for my pc, I need help as I have never had any dealing with this type of card before, is USB better than PCI/AGP, All I want to do is to be able to watch programmes in bed..so I dont need anything to technical like recording etc..any recommendations would be a great help..

Thanks..

Jdoki 14:31 10 Mar 06

I use an external USB device. I chose it as I needed the PCI slots for other cards, so it made sense.

I am very impressed with the quality and features. I bought a Leadtek USB Deluxe II or something similar sounding to that (at work and can't remember the exact model name)!

Stuartli 17:58 10 Mar 06

An internal TV card uses a PCI slot - AGP is for a graphics card.

If you have spare PCI slots available then the internal type will probably produce better results display wise.

I use a Twinhan Freeview DTB-ter Digial + Analogue (D+A) PCI TV card which can receive Freeview and terrestial TV and radio stations, plus FM radio, and is also HD compatible.

Twinhan also produces a straightforward Freeview version (i.e. no facilities to import games console and VCR signals for example) in the DVB-ter. It can be used with a modest CPU.

Other companies produce similar cards, of course, but they tend to be a little more expensive.

Stuartli 17:59 10 Mar 06

Both cards also feature software that allows them to be used in PVR form.

bfoc 08:09 11 Mar 06

An external usb device which is this one:

click here

It picks up both analogue and digital signals - the only downside, particularly for bedroom watching, is the lack of a remote control.

The advantage of USB for me was that it can be used in any of our computers.

I did have, in my previous desktop, an ATI All in Wonder graphic card which had TV 'built-in' and found that excellent, but when I tried an ATI based Theatre Pro card in my existing machine it caused major problems and had to be sent back.

Dellman 15:53 11 Mar 06

You may want to follow this thread....a few good deals too!!

click here

Diodorus Siculus 16:55 11 Mar 06

Amazon.co.uk: Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick Freeview receiver, black: Electronics & Photo
click here

field divison 10:29 14 Mar 06

Thanks guys for your great feedback,however I left work early on Friday and never got a chance until now to read the comments that was left,anyway I bought which suits me I think(will wait and see when I plug it up)a PcLine tv1000 click here
Would using a Dscaler improve picture quality on this card or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

rmcqua 12:53 14 Mar 06

Pity you didn't wait to review the comments, field division. I have never had a PC Line product with which I was satisfied (and I've had a few). I just hope that you are more fortunate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…