TV Backward step

Terry Brown 11:05 17 Jan 11

I have one of these energy saving units for my TV, when you remote the control to standby, after a few minutes it shuts off completly, which is now useless.

Reason.

I bought a new TV with freeview built in, and now if I use the remote to shut off the power,on restarting the TV, I have to go to Setup and reload the guide and other settings, as apparantly it upgrades at 0300 every day.

So the TV now gets left on standby, wasting energy, as I said a backward step.
Terry

Clapton is God 11:12 17 Jan 11

The alternative, of course, is to get up out of your armchair, walk the few feet from chair to TV and use the on/off switch on the TV.

Simples.

bremner 12:25 17 Jan 11

What make of TV is it because this does not sound right.

I have a number of TV's with Freeview built in at home and all of them get switched off at night and I have never had to reload as you are having to do so.

Terry Brown 14:02 17 Jan 11

Clapton is God.

The TV does have a manual On/Off switch but if you switch if off at the TV or remote, it still goes to standby. Press the off button a second time and it turns on again, not off.

Bremmer

This is a Samsung TV, and if I could switch it off at the TV,but leave the mains swiched on, it would possibly update itself, however as the only option is standby or off at the mains, that is not an option.

Terry

bremner 15:30 17 Jan 11

I have two Sansung TV's both od which I can switch off but leave plugged in. What model do you have?

xania 16:20 17 Jan 11

I always switch of the power at the wall before going to bed and (using BT Vision) never had any Freeview problems. However, this does mean that I have to occasionally manually ran updates every so often. No big deal.

bjh 16:31 17 Jan 11

I, too, have a Samsung TV. It's powered off at the wall socket but, on repowering, it finds the freeview guide without a problem. No settings are altered.

I think you have a faulty TV!

Modern TVs generally use less than 1W when in standby. The savings you make by disconnecting it from the mains are negligible.

uk-wizard 16:54 17 Jan 11

I have an LG that has a mains switch and you have the choice of using the remote to put it into standby or using the mains switch to turn it off. Turning the mains off makes no difference to the stored programs etc, just takes longer to warm-up. A 3 hr power cut last week made no difference to it.

Terry Brown 16:56 17 Jan 11

[email protected]

I checked on the Samsung web page, and on standby it uses 0.30 watt, which as you say is negligable.

However with the advetising on 'Turn it off, when not in use', It seems strange that there is no OFF button.

Terry

I suspect the reason for not having an actual off button is to prevent people from suffering from the problem that you have encountered when using your auto off device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…