TV on £500 laptop?

Will Hs 17:17 28 Jul 07

Pcnextday are offering a £500 laptop with the new Santa Rosa Centrino Duo. However it only includes the standard Santa Rosa X3100 graphics chip. Is this enough for using it as a TV (with USB TV tuner)?

Or do I need to choose a laptop with a graphics card (dedicated)?

It has: Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8Ghz), 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HD, Vista H.Premium. Any help / advice appreciated.

Will Hs 23:57 28 Jul 07

any thoughts anyone?

€dstowe 09:16 29 Jul 07

I've found that with a USB2 TV tuner more or less any computer can be used for reception.

TV reception is not all that demanding on a computer or graphics card and, even though I can't comment on your particular arrangement, I doubt there will be any problems.

Will Hs 11:33 29 Jul 07

Thanks for the advice, that's good news. Does anyone have a USB TV tuner they can recommend? (for a laptop)

€dstowe 13:25 29 Jul 07

click here

for standard analogue TV or check the home page for others click here

€dstowe 14:11 29 Jul 07

Note: don't be tempted by the very low cost devices there are around. I've heard some very poor reports on them. Pay a bit extra and get something reliable - not necessarily Hauppauge (to show I'm not working for them).

Will Hs 17:17 29 Jul 07

Thanks for that, that's really helpful.

€dstowe 18:41 29 Jul 07

You're welcome.

Stuartli 18:52 29 Jul 07

To add to €dstowe's mention of Hauppauge, the company recently released its WinTV Nova-TD USB stick TV tuner to boost TV reception.

It achieves it by having two tuners working in tandem.

Stuartli 18:54 29 Jul 07

Meant to point out that if you get good reception using just one of the tuners, you can either record two programmes at once or watch one and record another.

Will Hs 20:42 29 Jul 07

That sounds good - are they expensive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…