True Broadband costs

Retired Hurt 00:55 22 Sep 05

I note with interest the number of companies offering BB at just under £20.00/month. Do subscribers then have to,additionally,pay BT for the line rental, or is that included in the quoted price? Since use of a BT line costs around a tenner, this could make quite a difference to your monthly bill

plsndrs3 08:20 22 Sep 05

Yes, you tend to pay one cost for Broadband and another for the use of the phone line. Some ISPs have packages that come with Broadband + phone line included [Telewest Broadband, for example] but these are rarely below £30.

HTH

Paul

jack 08:39 22 Sep 05

True unless you are a cable subscriber -TeleWest NTL you pay line rental to BT plus call/connections costs to which ever supplier gives you call or broad band - Even BT I assume charge you connection/line package plus BB plus calls at some level.

spuds 09:55 22 Sep 05

A further additional cost would result in a 'capped' service, with an extra charge on top of the normal package fee for anything over the capped rate. Of late a number of ISP's are uncapping their services, but it always best to check before you start downloading masses of programmes etc.

Stuartli 09:57 22 Sep 05

If you, like the vast majority of people still, have a BT line then the only additional expense is the £14.99 or a bit more paid to the ISP for the broadband service.

Even if you get one of the Anytime or other phone packages from One.Tel and similar companies, you still have to have a phone line and pay rental on it, whether to BT or by switching this cost to One.Tel or equivalent company.

Stuartli 10:00 22 Sep 05

Above should read that if you have a BT line (on which you will/should already be paying line rental) then the extra expense is the £14.99 or a bit more being paid to an ISP for the broadband service.

Retired Hurt 23:09 23 Sep 05

Thanks, everyone... it appears that BT are not that different in price than the others when you take into account all the costs

Stuartli 23:28 23 Sep 05

BT charges line rental for the use of its lines to individuals - it's not going to let you use them for free...:-)

There's many years of building up an infrastructure and keeping it in full working order to take into account.

Even so, it still doesn't explain the strange situation whereby BT actually charges the same or even more for its broadband services than the ISPs to which it supplies the means to provide such a service.

harps1h 06:50 24 Sep 05

possibly because ofcom would have something to say on it

Retired Hurt 09:49 24 Sep 05

Stuartli - Yes, of course one pays for the BT line usage, that's understood and reasonable. I suppose I was naively imagining that other companies might quote a price which included this sum to give the actual outlay the customer pays to get online. Otherwise its a bit like 'batteries not included'

oresome 16:56 24 Sep 05

I believe BT's competitors are pressing for the ability to rent the local loop wholesale from BT and then pass on the cost to the customer in the form of one bill. One of the stumbling blocks was the third parties ability to undertake fault diagnosis on the local loop, (according to BT........third parties don't consider this an issue)

This would make sense for the customer who has both phone calls and BB via a third party. No doubt there will be a number of innovative ways of recovering the line rental other than the flat monthly sum paid to BT with other charges to the third party.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…