Trouble with warranty company RE: Hard drive data

livewire 13:24 18 Jan 09

Hi all,

Ive got an Evesham laptop and pay £10 a month for warranty support with "Total Care". The problem is the left mouse button does not click. Its already been in for repair once and its come back with the exact same problem.

Now that ive phoned to send it off again in hope that the problem actually gets fixed I have been advised that all my data will be lost. I argued that as its a hardware problem that is not nessecarily. (tested by loading a Knopix Linux live CD and the button doesnt work in there either).

They were adament that even if the hardware problem is fixed they will always wipe a laptop back to default settings. (Even though that didnt happen last time!).

So OK I thought, i'll just take the hard drive out. But no.. I'm not allowed to that either.

This means I am going to have to pay out to purchase an external drive to backup the data on the drive at considerable cost.

I ask the question why should I not be allowed to take the hard drive out before sending it to repair? And why are they being so awkward about it? Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to image a drive noting that I cant take it out?

Thanks for any help :)

MAJ 13:54 18 Jan 09

Your drive's manufacturer might have some free imaging software for download from it's site. When imaged, reset your drive yourself, see if it cures the problem, although, like yourself, I doubt it.

livewire 13:57 18 Jan 09

Ive discovered that Acronis True Image allows imaging to a network share...

If I create and image to a network share.. how would I go about restoring it?

The trial version is downloading now and I'm curious to how its going to work...

100andthirty 14:09 18 Jan 09

whatever you do, hard discs can fail at any time so you do need to maintain back-ups. you should be able to get an external drive for <£50. you will need an external drive to make use of the Acronis True Image, unless you put everything onto DVD. if you buy a Maxtor or Seagate drive you can get Actonis for free from the Seagate web site (it has Seagate's own name put on it!)

Also burn critical info onto DVD so you have some diversity of back up.

Repairers can never guarantee what they'll have to do to repair a computer and will alsways recommend back ups. Also all sorts of hardware symptoms can be caused by software issues, and this is one reason why some repairers revert a computer to a known basic state.

Mine was repaired a year ago, and absolutely everything was replaced except for the case, power supply and CD/DVD drives. They had reminded me to back up.

I now have 5 external drives!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac