Trend-PC-cillin-pre installed

watchful 13:20 25 May 03

When I bought my computer package from Tiny just over 12 months ago, it came pre-installed with the above as standard. I just had to register.

Am I right in thinking there should be nothing further to pay for this service?

soy 13:27 25 May 03

When you register PC-cillin, you will get a free 1 year worth of updates. After the subscription has run out, you will be given the option to renew, and pay the going rate.

citadel 13:55 25 May 03

I have a tiny computer and when my pc-cillin time ran out I uninstalled it and changed to norton anti-virus. I like this better and find it convenient as I can just buy the upgrade version each year from high street stores.

-pops- 14:02 25 May 03

You could, of course, uninstall and use AVG which is free and constantly updated. click here

Brian

TBH1 19:07 25 May 03

-pops- - - again, has hit it on the head. AVG is updated almost on a daily basis, software and updates free - - -how do they do that ?? I run a corporate SOPHOS anti virus package on my pc which has missed a couple of viruses ( is that correct collective noun for that ??) that AVG has picked up.

watchful 20:16 25 May 03

Thank you all for clarifying the position.

I think I'll stick with them as it has been very good and is constantly updated almost on a daily basis.

How do the others like AVG do it for free?

Belatucadrus 23:31 25 May 03

How do they do it for free ? simple it's one free copy only for non profit home use, everybody else pays, that's where the money comes from.

watchful 08:27 26 May 03

That's all I have hence my thinking that there would be no more to pay.

I don't pay any extras for Windows updates so thought this would be the same.

Mango Grummit 10:55 26 May 03

I bought a base unit last December that had PC-cillin on the drivers CD so I installed it. Later I transferred files from another PC to the latest one and discovered I was infected and had been for several weeks. Until that happened all my PCs were "protected" by AVG and always carrying the latest updates.

I now have purchased PC-cillin for them all. Updates are almost daily.

Belatucadrus 11:08 26 May 03

Watchful, there are three free anti virus packages offering the same deal, one free copy and lifetime free updates for the non profit making home user, Alwil offer Avast 4, Grisoft have AVG and H+BEDV give out Antivir. In all cases commercial users pay for the product. Presumably the theory being that people liking the free home version will recomend it's use in the workplace. Or as with AVG and avast, decide to cough up to unlock the extra features of the professional version. It also gives them market coverage that they don't get otherwise, you could find AVG on the shelves if you looked for it, but I doubt you'd find the other two.

watchful 12:11 26 May 03

I have decided to stay with Trend and cannot praise their support team highly enough. Just been having continuous e-mail contact with them Very pleasant replies and it seems that, as I'm already registered, I get 50% off the latest version (12 months use).

That's good enough for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…