transferring vinyl and cassette tape to mp3 format

ZootHornRollo 21:49 20 Feb 04

I want to be able to transfer my old album collection via my laptop onto my Creative Zen Xtra mp3 player. The utterly useless manual says you can do this but does not say how you actually do it other than stating the bleeding obvious i.e connect stereo to computer. What will enable me to do this ?

TBH1 22:32 20 Feb 04

You connect your stereo to your computer,mate ;-)
There are lots and lots of threads here about that, do a search - - but in a nutshell, connect a cable from your headphone socket on your stereo to the line-in on your sound card.

ZootHornRollo 23:21 20 Feb 04

Tried searching bit couldn't find any threads on this

TBH1 00:27 21 Feb 04
  TBH1 00:28 21 Feb 04

just a search on "vinyl" in the helproom forum

Sheila-214876 16:28 21 Feb 04

In my experience most Laptops do not have a "line in" so you can't do it.

Sheila-214876 16:41 21 Feb 04

You would need a computer that has a sound card with a line in socket. You would also need a programme to record your LPs or Cassettes to your hard disk as .wav files. JetAudio is the favourite download free at click here You would then need a programme to convert .wav files to .mp3 I use a free programme called Wismp3. I can email you a copy of Wismp3 if you want it. For recording the tracks in the first place I use LP Recorder and then LP Ripper both of which can be bought from click here

ZootHornRollo 21:19 21 Feb 04

my laptop doesn't have a line in socket but it does have a mic and headphone sockets - would they do? Also what sort of cable is needed to connect the stereo to PC ?

arricarry 21:48 21 Feb 04

microphone socket may only be mono I believe, but don't take it for gospel. As for cables you need one end to match the output from your stereo, probably phono sockets and probably a minijack on the other end. However it seems a bit acedemic at the moment.

Sheila-214876 13:26 22 Feb 04

Try this site click here they seem to be doing PCMCIA sound input cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…