Transfer of Warranty?

Scotsman 16:42 02 Jul 04

A friend of mine bought a new pc from a UK manufacturer about 2/3 months ago. Unfortunately unexpected illness of his partner has forced her to stop working - probably for several months at least. As a result he now wishes to sell the pc which came with a 3 year warranty, 2 years OS and 1 year RTB. A mutual friend is interested in buying the machine but is deterred by the fact that the supplier says the warranty can't be transferred to anyone who buys it. No details of the warranty were received with the pc, which cost £1400 new. On the invoice it said that warranty details were available 'on application'.

If warranties are not transferable surely that seriously reduces the value of any investment in a new piece of equipment and should be reflected in the new purchase price.

pj123 17:10 02 Jul 04

Yes, I agree Warranties these days mean nothing. But who would pay £1400 for a computer in the first place? I can do you 3 computers for that price. Obviously, I don't know the specification of this computer but I would expect the secondhand value to be about £300.

wee eddie 17:49 02 Jul 04

There will be others out there and maybe one has a copy of the Warrentry.

I think that pj123 is probably being slightly OTT on the level of depreciation. I would expect that opening the box of a state of the art PC, will cost you 20%, and certainly a 60% depreciation at the end of the first year is not unusual.

Starfox 19:43 02 Jul 04

So does that mean the warranty is on the purchaser and not the machine.Surely the warranty is for failure of the pc irrespective of who owns or is using it?

Scotsman 20:03 02 Jul 04

I would have thought the warranty went with the equipment but the company say it goes with the purchaser which seems strange since it was advertised as a three year warranty rather than a 'paid for' insurance type extended warranty. I don't want to name the supplier on here just now as my friend is taking advice from local Trading Standards. I just thought I would seek opinions in here as well.

Re the value I should have made clear that it's a well specced machine - P4 3.0Gig, 512MB DDRAM, 160Gb HD etc and includes a 17" Flat Panel monitor and an Epson 'all-in-one' printer/ scanner/copier thingy. As I said it's only about 2 months old. I wouldhave gone for it like a shot, even without the warranty, but I just hadn't budgeted for replacing this machine until next year and I've got a holiday coming up imminently

spuds 20:31 02 Jul 04

Like all things of this nature, it always pays to obtain the actual warranty documentation, at time of purchase or consideration. Different companies will and do offer various terms and conditions, and some will transfer a warranty cover for free, whilst others may charge an nominal administrative charge, others will offer no help, so it is a case of buyer beware.

Places like PC World will transfer the remaining cover of a warranty on major products like a computer system. The only condition is that the computer is 'as they supplied'. If additions are put on the computer, then these will not be covered unless PCW fitted them.Some other 'respected' companies also have a similar agreement.

It is a good thing seeking the trading standards help, as in some cases they can help in a negotiation basis. If the company, that you have not mentioned, as stated that the warranty is non-tranferable as per their terms and conditions, then there would be very little anything could be done about it, unless it proved to be a legally unfair contract.Did your friend asked the company if they can reconsider, or even transfer for a small fee.

Forum Editor 22:33 02 Jul 04

which company is involved there's not much we can do to help you with this. Your friend's contact with Trading Standards isn't really going to be affected, so why not name the supplier?

Scotsman 22:49 02 Jul 04

All of this has blown-up in the last 24 hours. I don't feel I can name the supplier without my friend's permission. I haven't spoken to him since this morning so he's unaware that I have posted this situation in here. There may be a legal angle to this as my understanding of distance selling regs, as outlined in the current edition of PCA, is that he should have received a copy of the warranty rather than an invoice that says he can apply for a copy if he wants one. If he decided to seek legal advice he might not want any other agency to get involved at this point. Also, if the sale to our mutual friend doesn't go through he may end up keeping the pc and might have to deal with the company in the future. If he agrees to me naming them I will do so but it probably won't be before Monday.

Scotsman 18:03 03 Jul 04

Right, I've managed to speak to my friend sooner than I expected and he has agreed to me revealing the name of the company. The company concerned is Evesham.

According to my friend, Trading Standards seem to be saying that Evesham's refusal to continue the warranty if the pc is sold to someone else is okay. I find it odd that they can say that so categorically without knowing what the warranty nd the T&C's that apply to it actually say. As I said in my original post my friend has not reeceived a copy of the warranty. He's going to phone Evesham on Monday and ask for a copy.

It feels to me like Evesham are trying to use the situation to offload their responsibility in this case. It's a shame 'cos I'm expecting to be in the market for a new pc by the end of the year and I would have been looking closely at Evesham having been impressed by the performance and build quality of my friend's machine. I doubt if I'll be looking at them after this.

spuds 19:43 03 Jul 04
  carver 20:00 03 Jul 04

Most warranty's are limited to the purchaser and are not transferable, this is pretty much standard for everything. One of the reasons is that suppose you bought some thing and you where the 10th person to have owned it and it went wrong and person number 6 had altered it without telling anyone, would you still expect the warranty to be honoured. But if the PC is to be sold to a friend and any thing should go wrong then maybe he could take it back until it's repaired, may not be entirely legal but that's life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…