Transfer PC Data

eric35 13:09 01 Jan 07

I am looking to buy a programme that will transfer all of the programmes and data from my old PC with Windows XP Home Edition to a new PC.
Any recommendation on the best software available?

HondaMan 13:26 01 Jan 07

True Image should do it, click here

Totally-braindead 13:32 01 Jan 07

Haven't tried it myself but Acronis would probably be my choice.
Depending on the make of hard drive there could be tools available free from the hard drive manufacturers website that can do this as well.

isca2 13:48 01 Jan 07

Acronis True Image ver 9 or 10 will do the trick and also provide for future backups as well on the new machine !

Diemmess 13:53 01 Jan 07

Transfer from one HD to another in the same PC is one thing, but transfer to a different PC may throw up difficulties because the basic motherboard drivers in the old PC being different in the new one.

If it is a new PC you may have to start from scratch and build everything one at a time.

Acronis would be fine for restoring a whole drive to its original glory, but wont be able to deal with a new environment.

All data and some small non integrated self-executing programs can be transferred or simply copied.

terryf 15:10 01 Jan 07

You could consider moving the old hd to the new pc and then use as D drive, then you would be able to access all your data, programs will have to be re-installed

skeletal 18:44 01 Jan 07

I am in the process of this very task having bought a new computer a few weeks ago. I don’t think you can use a disk imaging program due to the reasons Diemmess states, and I’m certainly not trying.

It’s a long slog copying data over, and freshly installing all the software...note I said I bought the computer a few weeks ago...I’ve still not completely finished!

I have a home network, so I just added the new computer to the network and simply copied over the data. This only took a few hours; the big problem is getting all the settings and software loaded. For Office, I tried the “Save My settings Wizard”. However, I ran into a lot of problems because I have many files/links etc that, because my new computer is not set out EXACTLY the same as the old, ended up not being correct. Thus, whenever I started any part of Office, I got loads of error messages. I think it took longer to sort that out (including editing the registry!) that simply copying over Normal.dot for Word, and various VBA projects for all the others, by hand.

And, if you are like me, there will be a few CDs you can’t find!

However you do it...good luck!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…