Tracking Companies Cookies

albu 19:38 03 Jul 04

Any time I browse the internet/web pages then run adaware spy software I always end up with tracking co. cookies. Does anyone else find the same thing happens? Can this be prevented?

Thanks Albu

gabriella 19:42 03 Jul 04

Dear Albu

I have the same problem and would be grateful for some thoughts on it - when I have opened individual items it says 'low risk'.

What should I do - delet or leave?

Gabriella x

Quiller. 19:46 03 Jul 04

I think tracking co. cookies are alright. I think I heard that the PCA server use these for this site and are harmless.

I do know some times when I switch pages the bottom browser line says that it has detected tracking co.

spuds 19:48 03 Jul 04

Delete, but they will most likely return.

A good combination worth installing:Adaware,SpyBot and Spyware Blaster. All on free downloads.

GaT7 20:06 03 Jul 04

Setup IE to 'prompt' when cookies are going to be put on your PC.

Go to IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced. Put a tick in 'Override automatic cookie handling' box. Select 'Prompt' & 'Prompt' & put a tick in 'Always allow session cookies' box. Press OK, Apply, OK. The next time you visit sites you'll be prompted to allow or block their cookies.

There's an option in the popup cookie prompt window to always allow or always block certain cookies. With a little practice you'll know which ones to always allow/block. Also, any changes you make can be reversed - some sites require you to allow cookies for their sites to be fully functional, so you may have to reverse certain blocked cookies. HTH, G

Stuartli 09:38 04 Jul 04

Crossbow7's response details exactly what I do and have mentioned previously, apart from the fact I use Allow for First Party cookies and either Block or Prompt for Third Party cookies.

It can be a bind at times to keeping ticking the panel that comes up, although the sites you never want to leave a cookie on your system are usually pretty obvious and can be permanently blocked, but it does reduce the incidence of unwanted cookies needing to be removed by Ad-aware or S and D 1.3.

There is also the advantage that blocking unwanted cookies very rarely prevents you from actually visiting websites.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:52 04 Jul 04

Follow the advice above but tracking cookies are not harmful and they do help to pay for an expensive site.

Use of the Internet is usually free but at the end of the day someone has to pay and this is done by advertising. Unless you subscribe to a site, you will not pay anything for browsing millions of sites. The tracking cookies track Internet meanderings anonymously to help advertisers target adverts.

Anyone one that has the warped view that thier IP address should be private on an OPEN network is living in La-La land. Everytime you use the net your IP is recorded and kept. Emails are kept on servers for 6 years. Anyone concerned about this has an inflated sense of their own self-importance or is up to something well hookey.

gabriella 18:05 11 Jul 04

Dear Gandalf

Can I raise a concern in relation to some of your comments and tone in the above posting (04 July). I for one have never and will never be 'up to something well hookey'. I do take my privacy seriously (and those of others too) and I think it is reasonable for users to limit or prevent (if they can) information about themselves being shared with others. I do not have an inflated sense of my own importance either.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:08 11 Jul 04

The internet is an OPEN resource and you need to understand that there is no such thing as privacy on the net. If you take your privacy 'seriously' you will never use the net, which would fully contribute to one's feeling of self-importance. We live in a time where virtually any information can be gleaned about an individual from reverse looking up of phone numbers to the Inland Revenue paying Tesco's for customers spending habits culled from their *ahem* 'loyalty' *ahem* cards. Anyone concerned about privacy on the net is fighting a lost battle.

However for anyone to be even remotely interested in an individual that person would have to have something interesting to offer. The huge majority have absolutely nothing of any interest apart from a few surfing habits that are collected anonymously. This is all cookies do, collect web meanderings; anyone thinking that this invades their 'privacy' is barking mad.

smokingbeagle 22:11 11 Jul 04

Try this. click here
It is called cookie wall and it can be set up to accept and then delete cookies. This seems to stop most sites blocking you because " your browser does not accept cookies".

gabriella 20:10 14 Jul 04

Dear Gandalf

I think you misunderstand me...I am saying that the tone of some of your comments is not very friendly. I accept what you are saying but please remember that the tone of communication is very important. People access sites like this to learn more and hear other people's views. I remain clearly of the opinion that everyone has something important to say but we need to make sure that the tone and content is respectful to all.

I repeat, I am not barking mad, have an inflated sense of importance etc..... and would appreciate you moderating some of your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…