//some 3rd party need geo

Tower Units

Southernboy 13:05 26 Sep 03

My Dad is looking for a new PC. Having looked at all the major suppliers, he is somewhat put off by large and ugly tower units.

To be honest, I can see his point. How come a reasonably good specification can be got into a slimline laptop, but a desktop seems to require so much more space? Some feel this is to allow space for upgrading but what about all those who don't wish to upgrade, but have little desk space?

I also realise that some (to me, lesser known) makers offer design-type PCs, but why can't Meash, Evesham, Dell etc, ofer a PC with a reasonable specification contained in a much smaller tower unit? Is it a question of cost?

At the end of the day, many seem to be going for TFT monitors to save space, but no-one among the major suppliers has, as yet, come up with a really compact "box".

I expect I shall now be told I am wrong, but it would be intersting to know.

Sir Radfordin 13:21 26 Sep 03

click here and you get a little box. What more do you want?

Why don't you suggest a laptop to your dad?

The problem is still that small is going to be expensive. There are some components that you can only make so small, without paying a massive premium. Remember that if you buy a small box now you will really strugle to upgrade it.

There are some suppliers who do all in one units (similar to the MAC design) where the components are either in the keyboard or on the back of the screen.

There isn't really the demend for a really compact box in the mass market. When people want them in the lounge, kitchen, garage then thing may change.

johnbhoy 13:30 26 Sep 03

Southernboy - Dell also do a cube style PC, we have over 20 at work. Try searching the Dell website for Optiplex SX260.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

-pops- 13:55 26 Sep 03

Remember that some people regard their computer as an item of furniture or even a work of art and have all sorts of embellishments with neon lights, flashing bits and bobs, shapes cut out of the side and most bizarre colours.

My current machine is large (ish) size because anything smaller wouldn't be big enough to contain all the components I choose to have in it.

Each to his own, I suppose. Small, compact units do exist as intimated above.

-pops- 13:57 26 Sep 03

P.S. You (or your father) could always hide the tower unit under the desk. It doesn't have to be visible, just accessible.

Diemmess 16:21 26 Sep 03

Towers for those who may want to fiddle later!...........Laptops for those who don't want to know.......................Cubes and dark covers with pretty lights for those making a statement (and paying a premium price)............

WHEN things stop working, then replacement bits will more likely be obtainable for the tower, and certainly much cheaper............. Bet you can't guess which I have!

mole44 17:04 26 Sep 03

an abacas,rofl

expertec 18:07 26 Sep 03

I think the Sony VAIOs look very nice :-)

R4 20:03 26 Sep 03

Cases come in all shapes and sizes::-

Desktops/Towers/Midi/maxi/Rack...etc.

But most Desktops/Towers have a lot more in/on them than a Laptop and are much more versitile, they are also have the room in them to add even the most unlikely peripherals.

Like everything else in this world it's 'Horses for Courses' or 'as you like it'

Steven135 21:19 26 Sep 03

If you are looking for real style you really can't beat an imac not that I have ever tried one I personnaly like the imposing power machine (sad really).

Southernboy 11:59 29 Sep 03

very interesting.

My dad has looked at laptops in RC World. Doesn't like them (nor do I), hates the lack of an external mouse, prefers to decide what CRT monitor he wants and certainly doesn't want a TFT screen or a bettery powered PC. Also, they are expensive, presumably because you are paying for mobility. Happy with a basic PC but regrets the passing of the base unit that could sit under the monitor.

Not interested in upgrading. Any additional peripherals (not very likely) would be external USB 2.0. Only plugged in when needed and can be retained when a new PC is purchased.

We would never site the tower under the desk - this attracts dust and is in danger of being knocked by feet/chair.

The Cube looks interesting. However, I still do not understand why the the desktop is so much bigger than a laptop. "There is more in a desktop than a laptop"... what more? Laptop specifications look pretty comprehensive to me. Or is it a case that laptops use smaller versions of the same components?

My Dad is not interested in "showing off" his PC, it is not a fashion statement, but a tool to do the jobs he requires as efficiently as possible. He simply wants a PC to use an Office Suite for his hobbies. He has no interest in any other use for a computer.

The ideal would be an Evesham (our preferred supplier), similar to the Axis I bought in May, but with a mini-tower instead of the huge tower unit that came with it. Surely, it is not beyond the wit of PC manufacturers/suppliers to reduce the size of the PC? I am sure a smaller tower would find favour with many wives who have to contend with the monstrosity in the living room?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…