Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop screen failure

dlyte 23:58 26 Feb 06

I have a 3 month old tosh laptop and the screen spontaneously broke the other day. I heard it go crack from a distance. It now looks like a broken window.

Dixons said I had damaged it but it just happened. They will not agree even to send it back to Toshiba for examination by them under warranty. They say it will cost over a hundred pounds just to be looked at.

I emailed toshiba but they have not replied.

Does anyone know if laptop screens can just suddenly break? Is there some web evidence i can use to back up my story which is entirely true but seems incredible.

BTW the machine had been the showroom display model but was sold as new.

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:51 27 Feb 06

I have ever seen this happen spontaneously was when I was once advising some clients on data processing for an oceanographic survey. It was a freezing winter's day, and we had been out on a boat for several hours. One of the clients had brought his laptop along, but didn't use it.

When we came ashore we went straight into a pub to get warmed up (inside and out), and this client got out his laptop and fired it up. Within a couple of minutes of being turned on there was a sharp cracking noise, and the screen had several cracks radiating from one corner.

What had happened was that the LCD screen (which has liquid inside) had frozen, and hadn't had time to thaw out before the warmth of the display lamps hit it.

Other than that one incident I have never heard of a screen cracking itself, and I don't hold out much hope for your claim to be honest.

anchor 13:01 28 Feb 06

Your best bet would be to check your household insurance policy; some cover accidental damage; (mine does).

I agree with FE; you probably will not be successful in claiming under warranty.

oresome 19:36 28 Feb 06

I agree it's a difficult claim.

However, the onus is on the retailer to prove that the fault was not due to a manufacturing defect.

A cursory glance by the retailer who is no expert would hardly satisfy me.

ade.h 19:38 28 Feb 06

Whatever happen to giving an honest person the benefit of the doubt?

ade.h 19:38 28 Feb 06

Or "happened", even.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…