Toshiba and LG - views please

the-emsworth-kid 21:13 20 May 05

I'm thinking about buying - a Toshiba Portable DVD player - SDP1600 and an LG DVD recorder - DR 4912 at the best price I've found - around £150 each.

Any comments please on the Toshiba, apart from playing dvds on the move, I really want to use it as a kind of portable photo album using jpeg stills and to be able to play VCD's for a small 'sit on the sofa' audience.

With the LG all I want to do is be able to copy from VHS - no editing or time slip recording or any other fancy stuff.

Comments on suitability - relalabity and/or anything esle would be would be very welcome - thank you.

Joe R 21:23 20 May 05

the-emsworth-kid,

Cannot comment on Toshiba, but over the years I have used a lot of equipment by Lucky Goldstar, (mostly P.C), and I have found everything from cd writers, monitors, and dvd writers, to be very reliable.

g0nvs 21:55 20 May 05

Have a LG DVD Recorder and It works perfectly. Transferred all my VHS tapes to DVD. Also have LG TFT monitor and TV etc, all flawless.

SEASHANTY 12:11 21 May 05

Surprised with LG's own define of the specification of this machine. They don't tell you much.
click here

Stuartli 14:34 21 May 05

Toshiba is a top class brand and a lot of its products are manufactured here in the UK.

I've had three Toshiba 21in televisions since 1990 - none of them has missed a beat or required attention apart from the original, which blew a fuse about seven or eight years ago for no apparent reason...:-)

My mate, who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet sells a vast number of Toshiba products annually; he wouldn't stock the brand (or any other for that matter) if they were not consistently reliable.

Stuartli 14:36 21 May 05

To make it clear, all three Toshiba TVs I mention are still in family use.

SEASHANTY 16:02 21 May 05

For the DVD recorder you could consider the Panasonic DMR-ES10 which is multiregion chipped and with free delivery by CityLink for £175-48. This machine also has the advantage of DVD-RAM support and these discs can be used similarly to a hard drive. click here
Info on DVD-RAM
click here

the-emsworth-kid 10:40 24 May 05

Folks thank you for your, as ever, valued input. I thinkI may up my sights on the DVDR and go for the Panasonic DMR EH50.

Can I ask whether anyone has hands-on experience of the Toshiba SDP 1600?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…