Toshiba, Acer or other?

davecooper 16:26 26 Mar 14

I am looking for a new budget laptop around the £400 mark. The two ranges that I keep returning to are the Acer Aspire and Toshiba Satellite ranges with i3 processors. It seems that these offer what I am looking for at a reasonable price. Am I on safe ground narrowing it down to these two? I have looked at many more but I need to narrow my search at some point. The machine will be used for general duties but also for running music recording and editing software (DAW's)

AroundAgain 18:02 26 Mar 14

I've had Acer Aspire, running Vista, for a few years and have never had any problems with it. My preference would be Acer but that's not an authoriative opinion, just my experience with one laptop. I also have Acer monitor and originally had a buzz on it so Acer replaced it without issue.

Have you Google'd reviews on either of the machines you mention? That's usually a good place to go to help make your mind up. Also, check out forums for each of the laptops and see what problems might repeatedly arise.

Good luck

john bunyan 18:46 26 Mar 14

Within the family we have 2 Toshiba Satellites. Rough usage by a certain teenager has meant that hers has had : New Screen (sat on it); New battery; 2 New Keyboards (water or beer spill) new female charging plug (knocked it whilst plugged in), broken hinges on lid (don't ask). ll these have been repaired by my local repair guy with a mixture of new parts and some from e bay. The machine themselves are very good (both 5i bought for about £500 over 2 years ago). The main point is that Toshiba spares seem easier to get than some and there have been no inherent faults! Bought from J Lewis with a 2 year guarantee.

The Kestrel 17:39 27 Mar 14

I have had an Acer Aspire laptop for several years now and have been very happy with it and had no problems.

Have a look at this laptop from Ebuyer which seems a good deal.

click here

Woolwell 21:28 29 Mar 14

In my household we have had Toshiba, Acer, Samsung, Asus and e-Machine. Not had a major problem with any apart from the e-Machine which got drunk on red wine on the keyboard. A replacement keyboard fixed that. The Tosh needed a new battery after about 3 years but the Acer's battery is still going strong. The Asus and Samsung are too new (both about a year old).

I also have access to a Compaq/HP laptop and that hasn't had any snags either (now 4 years old).

Woolwell 21:29 29 Mar 14

Should have added that I am impressed by the Asus chassis which seems more rigid than the others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac