Top 10 BB and speeds in your area

Covergirl 20:45 22 Mar 11
Answered

I thought this was interesting click here

Found it last week after watching ITV Breakfast telly. It gives speeds broadband speeds for everyone in your area (who has tried it) along with their service provider.

It's probably been mentioned in the past but I must have missed it.

No personal details required apart from your postcode. Give it a try, although the results appear to be quite random.

ams4127 22:03 22 Mar 11
Answer

Thanks for that link. It appears that I'm the fastest in the street!

Jameslayer 22:32 22 Mar 11

Looking at everyone else in my street. Only way to get faster is togo virgin.

Covergirl 05:34 23 Mar 11

. . . on both their speedtest and the namesco/virgin speedtest so I'm happy with the results. Not much faster in my locality - speeds only increase closer to the exchange.

I've been looking for something like this for ages.

hastelloy 08:54 23 Mar 11

This told me I'm getting 2.6 Mbps with Zen whilst BT could give me 7.1. BT's own checker says I can have a maximum of 2.5. So I'll take the results with a large pinch of salts.

siouxah1 09:06 23 Mar 11

Recently took up BT's offer of Infinity up to 40Mbs. They quoted 24.6 possible download, so accepted.

The end result after a couple of weeks is usually 31Mbs down and 1.6 up.

The fastest in the area is 35. But they are much nearer the Green Box.

Very pleased. Not bad for a small town in East Anglia.

onthelimit 11:00 23 Mar 11

That's an interesting site, Covergirl. Shows my connection to be 3 times faster than the others (that have been tested) in my area. Shall not complain again!

Clapton is God 11:01 23 Mar 11

Can I be the first to question the accuracy of the data?

In my street it reports Tiscali gives you 5.4 meg.

I'm with Tiscali and average 6.5 meg.

Kevscar1 11:41 23 Mar 11

It's Bull says plusnet speed is 46.4 mb. Plusnet do upto 60 but when I ran their own test they estimated the est they can give me is 6mb

Thalmus 11:53 23 Mar 11

Yeah, very inaccurate, I'm not even listed on there, or if i am it has incorrect details

Covergirl 12:19 23 Mar 11

But . . .

My first few attempts at this were within half an hour of the article appearing on ITV - and yes, my speeds were slower than 3.8mbps, due, I would guess, to over subscription as us ITV punters logged in and tested.

However, I waited until after lunch when the rush had subsided and since then I've got 3.8mbps (or within tens of that figure) every time. That agrees with the Virgin Namesco speedtest which gives virtually identical results.

Kevscar
PlusNet estimated my speed to be 0.8 (yes, zero point eight) two weeks ago when I tested via their website, but they are not LLUd at my exchange yet whereas TT, who I am with, are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now