Tomtom 1 How does it work?

thamesside 10:26 03 Sep 06

(Try again!)

Tomtom 1 traffic news?

I haven't got Satnav. Map reading is not a problem. But if it can help me avoid snarlups on the motorway I might get one.

How exactly does Tomtom one deal with traffic news? If there is a traffic jam ahead does automatically re-route you round it? I understand it works in conjunction with your mobile phone through blue tooth but i don't understand quite what it does. Can someone clear this up for me as it sounds a good buy

Forum Editor 10:34 03 Sep 06

is provided using 'push' technology - in much the same way that Blackberries get your email.

You'll need a wireless data connection from your mobile provider to get the traffic news, and you should be aware that you'll be charged for t.

Dizzy Bob 11:07 03 Sep 06

I seem to remember that the tomtoms come with one months free trial of the traffic news service.

I used mine, thought it was ok, but not really worth the money for the amount of motorway / long distance driving that i do.

Why not use the trial and see what you think?, as FE states, your phone provider will charge you for the data downloads if not included in your tariff (but the files are fairly small)

Radio 5 live gives good traffic updates.

DB

Giggle n' Bits 11:35 03 Sep 06

when a traffic report is available your playing audio be it a radio or CD or cassete would change to a traffice report automatically if tuned to your local radio station like BBC Manchester or GMR or Key 103 then when over revert back to the Audio. Most traffic updates are around every 10 or 5 mins before or after the half hour.

thamesside 12:09 03 Sep 06

Thanks. But what is not clear to me is: Does it just broadcast the traffic information or does it autaomatically modify the route to avoid the hold up. Obviously, as you say, I get the traffic information on my car radio anyway.

ton 19:50 03 Sep 06

I use TomTom but not the traffic reports.

I would imagine that it just tells you about the holdups.

If you take a turning off the planned route TomTom will automatically re plan the route anyway.

Kingell 14:38 04 Sep 06

I bought one of the first TOMTOMs years ago and it 's been very good until Toshiba wanted £260 to repair a miniUSB socket - now binned.
So I've upgraded to a GO 910 which is a standalone including GPS aerial. It has a USB link which works fine with Tom Tom HOME.
The machine is fussy about which 'phones it will talk to and I eventually bought a new one from ARGOS (NOKIA - half price). I was amazed when I set it up because it immediately read out loud my text messages!! I've installed John Clees which is amusing for the first trip. The manual says it will reroute using the 'phone. I haven't done this yet - worried about the cost. I can use the 910 as a "handsfree". I've put extra software on for "danger zones" and European City weather!! I like it. Cheapest buy I found was at PCworld. Check out TOMTOM website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…