Tiscalli Broadband - Would you recommend it?

Webmaster 23:54 15 Jul 03

Simple enquiry really. Would anybody recommend Tiscalli Broadband? If not, would you be able to tell me why? I'm just going on to Broadband and would love peoples' suggestions on which ADSL operator I should choose. Otherwise, the Tiscalli offer looks good and people have said they have been reliable. (By the way, I don't want to use ADSL from AOL).

Thank you to all.

rawknroll 00:53 16 Jul 03

as im sure you will alreday know, installing aol is a death sentence, to uninstall it is a nightmare of epic proportion. But as for Tiscali BB, im happy with the service, had a hassle when i moved house, but it was tiscali balming BT blaming tiscali type affair, so i *think* tiscali were OK through it. Give it a go, and opt for the more expensive option, very much worth ita s speeds often exceed 512.

Djohn 01:14 16 Jul 03

Zen is getting very good reviews at the moment for speed, reliability, and customer service. £28.00 per month, no contract to tie you down.

There are a few recommendations for it on this page. I am joining myself this week. click here But then at the moment I'm with AOL dial-up and cannot fault them either. Also un-installing is no problem at all, I've done it many times for other people, as well as my own system on each upgrade to a newer version of the program. j.

Djohn 01:17 16 Jul 03

Sorry forgot the link to thread. click here

Webmaster 01:43 16 Jul 03

Thank you to you both. Rawknroll, you mention that the speed sometimes exceeds 512, with Tiscali, but by how much. This is good and exciting news, but I need to make sure the router can cope! :-/ Djohn, I'll check out Zen Internet tommorrow. Thank you.

Djohn 01:49 16 Jul 03

Your welcome. If you check the ISP guide, you will see that Zen comes top almost every month, and if you look in the Zen user forum, you will have to search many pages to find a complaint.

ADSL Guide is click here Regards j.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:52 16 Jul 03

click here I am very pleased with Tiscali.

You are unlikely to acheive any real speed over 512k for receiving, or 218k for transmitting. The rates are also dependent on the number of users that are online in your node area, which is usually 50 connections. In theory you could have an actual rate of 10Kbs.

Before anyone starts sayingg how much faster/better any ISP is it is worth noting that, apart from cable/satellite ISPs, ALL providers use BT lines for their Broadband. Therefore the quality of service is more down to the line provider. The only difference is service and to be truthful it is double easy to set up BB and there is little that can go wrong.

G

lucybear 16:55 16 Jul 03

Go to the Tiscali website, go to the Forums section and look for Tiscali Broadband thread.

To say the least, there are a lot of unhappy bunnies there. I signed up with BT Broadband and I've never had any problems

3tg 19:24 16 Jul 03

I was interested in Tiscali too, but I had a little querie, emailed them three times, still no reply !. One wonders about their support etc.

Webmaster 02:02 17 Jul 03

My thanks to all once again.

I am seriously attracted by the Zen ADSL Home offer. (And Zen have a good Flash animation on their website, showing performance depending on different connection speeds!) Thank you for recommending this Djohn since I was put off by Tiscali when I contacted them through their FreeFone number. They were incredibally efficient, I just didn't like the idea of being tied down to a 12 month contract, whereas Zen work on a month by month contractual basis. Who can be certain that BT will still be providing similar services in 12 months time?! :-)

I think I shall set this to being resolved in a few days time.... however, let us see how I get on with Zen when I ring them tommorrow!

Cheers.

david.h 21:22 19 Jul 03

avoid tiscali lots of other good isp's. pipex is good very fast no down times so far noticed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…