Is Tiscali a reliable ISP?

Cybermaxx 17:17 21 Aug 05

I'm shopping around for a new ISP. At the moment I'm just using a free month's dial-up which I'll cancel anyway. My previous ISP was reliable (Pipex, btw) but the fee was a bit steep. Tiscali 2MB with a 15BG monthly allowance for £17.99 looks more reasonable, but are they reliable? I don't want to get involved with a bunch of two-bit rip-off merchants!

Here's the blurb

click here

Cybermaxx 17:19 21 Aug 05

Hahaha, "15GB" not "15BG", but you probably already knew that....

Ancient Learner 18:15 21 Aug 05

I think that " a bunch of two-bit rip-off merchants!" is just a teeny bit over the top, if I may say so!

They are unlikely to be as successful and large as they are if they were that.

I and many others here appear to be quite satisfied with their services.

Completealias 18:50 21 Aug 05

I use that very service here, it has been reliable I do get dropped connections but I'm getting the jist that this happens with USB modems.

I have not had a day where I could not get on the net and when the connection has been dropped I'm back on within a min most of the time a lot less so no biggy.

Cybermaxx 20:08 22 Aug 05

Cheers. Unfortunately, after reading the small (red) print on their site, I won't be able to sign up with them after all. Think "credit card"....

Stuartli 20:29 22 Aug 05

My Tiscali account is paid by direct debit - new subscribers get the same choice of payment methods I had originally with the then WorldOnline nearly seven years ago.

Cybermaxx 20:37 22 Aug 05

Hmmm, well this is what it says when I try to sign up:-

"For this package you need to connect through a BT phone line, be aged 18 or over and have a valid credit card (not a debit or Switch card)."

I'll give them a call tomorrow and take it from there.

Cybermaxx 20:38 22 Aug 05

Hmmm, well this is what it says when I try to sign up:-

"For this package you need to connect through a BT phone line, be aged 18 or over and have a valid credit card (not a debit or Switch card)."

I'll give them a call tomorrow and take it from there.

Cybermaxx 20:41 22 Aug 05

Pardon the double post! This damned dial-up nonsense is getting right up my nose!

Stuartli 21:12 22 Aug 05

It does say that initially, but undertaking a DayTime Plus dialup subscription for a elderly friend recently he was able to elect to pay by direct debit.

Completealias 00:41 23 Aug 05

I also pay by direct debit and only set my account up 2months ago

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…