Is this Tiscali package anygood?

Proxy Worm 16:59 15 Feb 04

I am a 56k user and wan6t something faster and to stay on internet and have the phone line free all day for calls. Is this package any good? click here

antoni34 17:27 15 Feb 04

But if you have the money why not upgrade to the full (512kbs)service ??

I have had this for 9 months with no problems at all

spuds 22:37 15 Feb 04

When this service started not very long ago, it was on promo offer of £14.99 with extra for connection.It then went up to £15.99 and extra for connection, as a get it quick at this price package. Now it is £15.99 with free modem and connection. I use both tiscali 3x and 10x,both give and offer good service, and I have no complaints about either.Remember though that each package comes with a 12 month contract.There are let-out clauses, but you must read the terms and conditions carefully. Either package is a better improvement that the 56k service, and for a few pounds more the 3x is well worth it. Installation is a simple task, after BT have approved your telephone line.

Stuartli 08:23 16 Feb 04

You'd do even better with 512k at around £23 from Pipex, one of the country's longest established ISPs with an outstanding record of service for both its business and domestic subscribers.

Tiscali, whilst providing a reasonable service, has too many problems with its customer care and attention for comfort; this particularly applies to its regular mishaps with subscription collecting.

I know from often acrimonious personal experience, having been with Pipex since 1996 and WorldOnline before it was taken over by Tiscali.

I know what you are going to ask next, but there are perfectly valid reasons why I'm only with Pipex on a PAYG basis.

Jonathan314159 09:19 16 Feb 04

I've been with Tiscali for ages on dial-up (pay as you go, not subscription) and never had a problem. With Pipex for broadband, and likewise not had a problem.

Of course it would be better to have 512k, but even with this cut-down broadband service you will get "instant" connection, better on-line speed than currently, and won't be tying up the phone line.

Will they let you upgrade to 250 or 512 within the 12 month contract period? - might be worth checking.

Stuartli 09:23 16 Feb 04

But, as you point out, you are with Tiscali on a PAYG basis - the problems often arise, as I stated, if you use it with a monthly payment version.

Proxy Worm 10:46 16 Feb 04

OK, so mixed views, basically what i am looking for is a reasonable fast connection for under £20. Any ideas?

KatyN 10:54 16 Feb 04

I've got a cheap and cheerful broadband with ntl (cable0. I can't remember the speed but it is the lowest and costs £14.99/month Compared with dial up, it is brilliant. No problem with using phone at same time.

You do need to be in a cable and ntl area.
KatyN

Bally 2k4 11:13 16 Feb 04

Thanks how can i check tht i live in the boundaries of BT BB and NTL?

M4D 11:25 16 Feb 04

You would be better off looking into a 512 - 256 package on here click here

Im with aol for broadband and i must say it's alot better than people say.
Don't listen to anyone who says aol is c**p aslong as you dont use the software it's fine.

Chris M

Stuartli 17:45 16 Feb 04

Maybe, but it's not cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…