Tiscali discs in magazines

slimpickins 09:44 30 Jul 03

I don't know how much computer (and other) magazines get paid by Tiscali to glue the discs to their pages but I would gladly pay extra to be rid of them, especially when they are stuck on the back of editorial pages.

Dear editor, please run a poll on this subject!

Stuartli 09:49 30 Jul 03

This subject is a recurring one about once a fortnight or so - a search will reveal the threads.

Magazines receive income from these disks so would be reluctant to stop the practice; PCA, to its credit, has taken steps to reduce the amount of glue used to facilitate disk removal without damaging pages.

The really annoying aspect of the subject is that Tiscali's offer is also available on the cover disk.....

slimpickins 10:15 30 Jul 03

is that topics recur, demonstrating that they are still concerning people. We could all add our comments to the first thread on the subject and have a vast list of pages with "I agree" on them but it wouldn't have the same impact.

Tiscali have just been found in breach of advertising standards btw, they aren't Europes number one and they don't have 3 million users in the UK.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:15 30 Jul 03

1) grip disk between thumb and forefinger.

2) hold disk a few feet above waste bin.

3) relax grip.

4) disk falls into recepticle.

5) seems reasonably easy and abolishes any concern/angst in a jiffy.

You can also use them as drinks coasters. There must be more urgent things to consider?

G

Wes Tam ;-) 16:48 30 Jul 03

GANDALF <|:-)> it's not the 'getting rid of' but 'the removing of'.

Any fool can drop the CD in a bin but it takes an expert to remove the CD without tearing the page, but then some people are lucky enough to have all day.....

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:29 30 Jul 03

It is hardly rocket science to remove the disks.

G

accord 17:36 30 Jul 03

Gandalf: it is when half the page comes off with it.

i agree with slimpickins, you pay 5 quid for a mag (used to be 3.50) and potentially a very important pages comes off with your free disc which you dont want.

H-J 09:51 31 Jul 03

Do tiscali pay extra for where the disc is stuck? if not, why not stick the disc on a tiscali ad? Kill two birds with one stone....

Hugh

swanson2 10:14 31 Jul 03

Hi,

I E-Mailed P C Advisor about this problem about a year ago after getting fed up of ripping the page whilst trying to remove the "glued on" CD.

I noticed a few issues of PCA later that the CD's became a lot easier to remove and surmise that the people at PCA have found a "less volatile" adhesive.

xxxxxxxxx 10:40 31 Jul 03

They are a nuisance, although I agree are now much easier to remove, why not dilute the glue even further so that it falls out on the way home from the newsagents.
Dave Hughes

Belatucadrus 11:29 31 Jul 03

Maybe there should be an additional version made available. We already have CD or DVD, perhaps we should be offered DC De Crapped, with AOL and Tiscali pre-consigned to the recycle bin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…