Tiscali cancellation

mezzanine 10:35 12 Jun 05

Can Tiscali legally refuse to cease my ADSL connection until I pay any outstanding balance on my account? Typically, Tiscali have messed up my billing and as far as I was aware, payments were coming off my wifes credit card but this turns out not the case due to Tiscali messing up. Thus, I owe Tiscali a few months payments. Tiscali failed to contact me regarding this and a couple of days ago suspended my service. I require a broadband service for my business and without it I am losing money.
Any help would be appreciated.

Totally-braindead 10:52 12 Jun 05

I'm sure someone will confirm this but if you have been provided with a service then it is reasonable for the service provider to insist on being paid regardless of whether its their fault or not that the money hasn't been asked for and I'm certain the law is on their side. You will have to pay them the monies owed. I'm unsure about whether they have the right to refuse to terminate the service before being paid though but I'm sure someone on the Forum can advise with that. If you pay them now will they not agree to immediatly terminate the service?

On a personal note I'm with Tiscali and am looking at other providers at the monent partly because of their muck ups with billing. One month they wouldn't charge me and the next month they'd charge me for 2 months. Sometimes they'd take a months fee out then skip a month and do it again. Very annoying I'm sure you'll agree.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:08 12 Jun 05

Why not just pay what you owe? Surely you were checking the card each month to ensure payments were taken.

mezzanine 11:16 12 Jun 05

It's not of a question of me not paying them. I'm a bit skint this month so may not be able to pay the lot off in one go and thus the question - can Tiscali legally refuse to cease my ADSL until the complete balance has been payed?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:58 12 Jun 05

Yes they can.

spuds 13:25 12 Jun 05

I think you will find that in the Tiscali terms and conditions as provider of your service, they have the full legal rights to suspend their service to you, until all dues are paid to them.

I would also suggest that you pay what is due, if you are convinced that the payment request is correct,and you do state that you owe them money, irrespective of Tiscali messing you about. Tiscali, like all ISP's will soon turn over the account to a debt collection agency, and consider what that may bring!.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:36 12 Jun 05

Tiscali have a duty to ensure money is paid. You also have a duty to ensure that this money is being transfered. I would bet huge amounts that if someone was overcharged by 1p they notice it immediately but when a company forgets to take payments strange how this is never noticed.

Ancient Learner 16:37 12 Jun 05

As far as Tiscali are concerned, they will view you as being in the wrong. You may disagree, but i regret that will fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. Get them paid off as quick as possible. If their debt collection fiends get going, you are very likely to lose your positive credit rating, and getting that back will be a nightmare.

mezzanine 14:53 21 Jun 05

OK, after spending most of the week on the phone (on hold). Tiscali are admitting no liability for not taking payments from my account and are refusing to cease the line until all the outstanding balance is paid off. The problem I have is thta it is quite a lot of money which I cannot afford in one lump sum. Tiscal offered to split it into two payments, one now and one at the end of the month?!?
As far as I was aware, i think i saw it on ofcoms website, an ISP cannot hold a line to ransom.
Tiscali themselves have said my account will be cancelled as soon as they receive full payment but i need the line re-provisioning asap as my business is suffering.

spuds 15:39 21 Jun 05

Contact Ofcom for regulation advice click here These may have ISP advice click here You could also consult the citizens advice or debt counselling advisory people, they may have a solution if your funds are rock bottom.

But at the end of the day Tiscali have the law in their favour, and having a debt collecting agency chasing up an account isn't going to look very good on your credit rating.Best to try and be amicable about the situation, and get the matter resolved quickly.Debt collecting agencies, only add further expense to the bill.

Bailey08787 17:17 21 Jun 05

they have you over a barrel. until they get paid, they won't give you the MAC code, without which, you won't be able to go to another supplier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…