Tiscali Broadband Failure

acfc 20:38 26 Oct 05

I have been trying unsuccessfully to help a relative set up her new broadband connection but the problem would appear to be the Sagem modem supplied or the line.

The difficulty is that despite numerous attempts (long phonecalls)to contact Tiscali on their 0870 number she has only succeeded in running up a phone bill.

Has anyone similar experience of their customer service?

I am moving soon and was interested in the Tiscali deal but will now be resigning with Pipex who in my experience have provided service and support when needed

wilco33 21:05 26 Oct 05

I just signed up to tiscali BB myself 2 weeks ago
& have had no problems modem or otherwise. Did you
install the BB CD first before connecting the
modem ?

CMC 42 21:47 26 Oct 05

Can I just check, we didn't have any problems setting ours up - have you got a filter on every phone socket in the house?

Jackcoms 22:04 26 Oct 05

A little (in fact, a lot) more detail about what exactly your problem is, would help.

Someone may then be able to proffer help.

Stuartli 22:43 26 Oct 05

Use click here to reduce phone call costs or contact Tiscali on 0845-072-2224.

I've had no problem with Tiscali and get a full 2MB or better with the Sagem modem and using the latest drivers on a PentiumIII 1GB system.

josie mayhem 23:20 26 Oct 05

If you are using a extension lead, then check your connection, as you will need a filter at the end of the extension lead. And at the other end make sure that you are not returning the lead into a single connection. Or it might be that the extension isn't good enough to carry a split signal.

Personal I've never had a prob em with cable quality but a friend has.

acfc 06:22 27 Oct 05

Thanks for the response it was more a moan than a cry for help... however as you have offered ~

Dell Windows XP, Celeron CPU and 256Mb RAM with onboard sound and graphics (low end for letters and web surfing only)

Sagem USB modem which was connected after installing software as per instructions and then removed for a clean install just in case

All phones removed and 2nd filter tried

ADSL not Snycing and messages 'no dial tone' and 'Warning Insufficient bandwidth. Other applications currently occupy the USB bandwidth. Please close all other applications, then remove other USB devices'

I have read others have had this problem and it was not solved by a powered USB hub

Perhaps this should be moved to the helproom now?

wee eddie 08:21 27 Oct 05

Has she got a cordless telephone system?

Taff36 08:25 27 Oct 05

Let`s get rid of the "No dial tone" message. In IE go tools>options>connections tab and select the "never dial a connection". I suggest you do remove all other usb devices and just leave the modem connected to see if it makes a difference. If you listen on a phone to the line you are using for the BB connection do you hear any interference - if so I would ask BT to check your incoming line - be warned though that they will charge if they find nothing and send out an engineer to test indoors. Try the connection on the master socket i.e.without any extension cables.

Stuartli 11:30 27 Oct 05

If you want to check the quality of your line just dial 17070 and choose choice number two.

This is the Quiet Line check.

If you are ex-directory you will need to prefix 17070 with 1470.

I have a cordless telephone and two extensions, an answering machine and also a dialup modem and use broadband without any problems.

The connection to my Segam modem is via a 10m ADSL data cable from the Master Socket into which is plugged the ADSL splitter.

The data cable is run direct to the modem from the splitter and the splitter's BT phone outlet houses a double phone adapter for the cordless phone + base and the answering machine leads.

It sounds complicated but works very effectively.

acfc 19:52 27 Oct 05

wee eddie ~ no cordless telephone system

Taff36 ~ removed all usb devices and all phones. No noise on the line

stuartli I'll suggest the line check - thanks

I have also sent the latest Sagem drivers for her to try so i'll wait to see if that helps, however from extensive reading I think a modem change will be required

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…