Tiscali Broadband - beware

dazedandconfused 19:09 01 Apr 04

I recently subscribed to Tiscali Broadband (actually it was their 256 kbs service for £19.99) as heavily advertised in the press and elsewhere. Apart from my modem arriving five days late (probably maore to do with the Royal Mail) everything seemed fine. In fact my PC was connecting at reported speeds of up to 576 kbs, which was even better.

My problems started when I called my existing ISP - Freeserve - to cancel my existing Dial-up service. The customer service agent informed me that as an existing 'anytime' customer he was authorised to offer me 512 kbs broadband also at £19.99. He also advised me to use the 14 day 'cooling off' period written (by law) into the Tiscali contract and then take on the Freeserve broadband. A good deal.

I then tried to contact with Tiscali, but it seems that they don't answer the phone. When I eventually did get through to the only number listed they advised me that if I wanted to cancel I had to e mail them. I did so - twice without response. I then tried to call again - no response.

Now it would seem that Tiscali has terminated my broadband connection, without so much as an email or phone call. I emailed - no response. Problem is I still have their modem and I am reluctant to take on another ISP until I'm sure that I have been released from the Tiscali contract.

I would be interested to hear if anybody else has had a similar experience...also my advice to anyone with Freeserve Anytime is to phone them up and enquire about cancelling. When asked 'why' simply answer that you are taking Tiscali 256 at £19.99 per month. They will then offer you 512 kbs at that price, to stay with FS. Not a bad deal for an extra fiver a month!

dazedandconfused

You’re not on your own the reason they won’t answer the phone or emails are that they can't cope
If you have successfully stopped your contract with them think yourself a very lucky person

Maybe those who have got problems with tiscali contact BBC Watchdog as I have done and many others by the look of things
To log your complaint
click here

dazedandconfused

i think Oftel is resonsable for ISP
But if nobody complains then they think everything is ok

dazedandconfused 20:45 01 Apr 04

I hear you...I'm tired of getting ripped off!

computernerdiamnot 11:24 02 Apr 04

Sorry to barge in on this but i have read that when tiscalli customers change from paid dial up to BB they still charge you for dial up as well as charging you for BB beware and phone to make sure you have cancelled your dial up account o activation of your bb i hope you have sucess in your new isp dazedandconfused.

johnnyrocker 11:32 02 Apr 04

i believe the posters dial up is freeserve.

johnny.

Totally-braindead 17:43 03 Apr 04

Thank you Dazedandconfused on behalf of my mate who was with Freeserve, did what you suggested and got offered it at £19.99 as you said. Wish I could do it but its for existing customers only and I'm no longer with Freeserve.

Forum Editor 18:15 03 Apr 04

that I'll delete any posts that use anacceptable language and/or allegations of "rip offs".

It's possible to discuss issues like this without resorting to allegations that may be libellous.

antoni34 18:39 03 Apr 04

Was a 56k dial up customer, then 11 months ago upgraded to BB.
Never had any problems with them and would recommend them

dazedandconfused 19:43 03 Apr 04

Dear Editor

There was no mention of any company in that particular posting and in anycase it's only libellous if it isn't true...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…