Tiscali, appalling service.

tbb 09:30 27 Nov 04

I posted this as a general complaint, about Tiscali Broadband.
Never thought of Consumerwatch until the reply suggested it....

Friday evening. Tiscali has been down for five hours or so. Automatic message says there are no problems ( at national call rate). I assume it's my PC gone wrong. Speak to support person, who tells me that actually the system is down for "maintenance". There had been no warning about htis either. I am furious that I've had to waste time (and money) on national call rate because their message is not kept up to date. Demand to make a formal complaint, told a supervisor will call me back. Doesn't. 11:00 pm. Service reappears. Look at Tiscali web site. No mention of problems. Service status indicator last updated three days previously. I look for customer service contact to complain by e-mail. There is no such link on web page. E-mail tech support as only alternative available. Bet they don't pass it on!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:19 27 Nov 04

You are going well over the top. Their website reported no problems, which is not unusual for websites as they are rarely kept up-to-date but you spoke to a supervisor and was told that there was a problem. This cost you 10p and for that amount of money coupled with a small amount of time you are grossly over-reacting. It is not Tiscali's fault that there are problems and their service was far from appalling.

Having no internet connection for 5 hours is not exactly a serious problem, it comes below 'will it rain in 6 weeks time at 1230hrs'. There are much more important things in life. I fail to see why you would want to make a 'formal complaint', there is nothing you or the supervisor could do and it is all in the hands of the repair crew.

You need to calm down and just accept that these things will happen, you were told by phone and you have not missed anything...you could have always read a book in the 5 hours.

G

pipedream 11:23 27 Nov 04

It is frustrating though - even Pipex went down once a few months ago (very rare) and I was surprised that their website hadn't been updated (pretty basic really). The problem then is that people start uninstalling/reinstalling modems etc. thinking it's 'their end' that's causing the fault. Quite a few people run small businesses from home via eBay, so 5 hours offline (or on dial-up only) can be a problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:33 27 Nov 04

Websites can only be updated if a 'webmaster' is available. In large organisations there are usually only one or two people that have access to the web.

If I were running a business that 'relied' on the net, I would make sure that I had a pay per minute dial up connection as well as my BB available, in case of emergency if 5 hours would 'cripple' my business. This is common sense.

G

spuds 11:36 27 Nov 04

Strange one this. I was using the Tiscali service yesterday evening 7.30 till 8.30 and 11.00 till 11.45, checking the PCA forums. Seemed okay to me.

Tiscali Contact is clearly displayed click here

It's Me 16:41 27 Nov 04

As spuds says, this is strange indeed. I had no problem at all yesterday evening, all evening from about 19.00 to 23.00. And I'm at present in Portugal. And, yes, I was using tiscali.co.uk.

Totally-braindead 19:21 27 Nov 04

I too was using Tiscali broadband at the time it was meant to be down, very strange.

tbb 23:04 27 Nov 04

My guess is that the service was down on an area by area basis.
The tech support service clearly knew there was an issue. The fact that the service returned as suddenly as it went is merely corroboration.
However,the fact that they knew meant that there was no excuse for failing to update the recorded message. The web site, I agree, is a trivial matter, since one would need to go online to find it.
If Gandalf has such poor expectations of services for which he pays, then he will deserve what he gets. This view may well be common, which would go some way to explain why lousy service is such a live issue through so much of the UK.

Are you still with Tiscali?

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:26 28 Nov 04

' If Gandalf has such poor expectations of services for which he pays, then he will deserve what he gets'...however I do not get all precious over a trivial matter. The fact that I have been with Tiscali on dial-up and now on BB since day one and have no plans to change, should speak volumes. A minor glitch is not lousy service.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…