Tiscali annoyance!

Totally-braindead 14:48 18 Apr 06

When I originally had Tiscali BB I had the 256k service, then upgrade to the 512k and then to the 1mb service. I don't play online games or download a great deal so never paid much attention to my connection speed.

However having posted in another thread I got curious as my friends PC seemed a lot faster when looking at video clips so I did the speed test. The results were very poor, typically 240-260k. Contacted Tiscali and the call centre informed me that the reason for it was I was still listed as using the 256k service. I protested rather vehemently about this and upon them checking further they admitted they could see I had upgraded to the 512k then to the 1mb service and could not explain what had happened but for some reason I was still listed as using the 256k service.

Now perhaps this is partly my fault for not checking or for not noticing the speed stayed the same but I have been paying for the full 1mb service and I haven't been receiving it. Tiscali say they are trying to sort it out and hopefully they will but what I would like some advice on is. Am I entitled to a refund of the extra money I have paid considering they have not provided the service I paid the extra for in the first place? If so and they get differcult about it what is my next course of action? I asked on the phone for a refund and the call centre operator said she would pass it on and I also emailed them but bearing in mind the trouble I had with them a while ago about something else I don't think they will offer to refund. So what next? Any advice? I'm well past the one year contract so I'm thinking about voting with my feet and going elsewhere.

Stuartli 14:57 18 Apr 06

I would put it to Tiscali via its billing department (e-mail address on the website).

When I changed from Tiscali's DayTime Plus to BB, it continued to take £7.99 a month out of the direct debit account for a couple of months for the dialup connection, even though it had been switched to PAYG.

I contacted Tiscali and got a cheque back for three months' payments as a gesture of goodwill.

Totally-braindead 15:41 18 Apr 06

Well I'm afraid you had better luck than me with Tiscali and their billing.
For over 6 months they would sometimes take the monthly fee and sometimes not, if they didn't take the money the next month they would take 2 payments. It caused me no end of confusion, probably a half dozen phone calls " oh we're very sorry, we'll get that sorted right away" was what they always said with no changes, still carried on. I got so fed up with them I ended up forgetting the phone and emailing them and then discovered the billing department lacked the ability to read.
I would say something about them not taking money and then taking two months and they would send me an email back about how to upgrade my BB connection or a nice letter about how if I joined Tiscali I would be entitled to XXX or nice advice about sorting out broadband connection problems. I really lost it with them over this time. They are useless. They can't be able to read because what they replied about was total gibberish, absolutely nothing to do with what I asked them in the first place.
Sorry, getting upset again just thinking about it. They did eventually sort it, only took them 7 months, quite quick really considering they can't read. Anyway I live in hope Stuartli that the billing department will reply with a refund of the extra paid, But I'm not holding my breath, I tend to think they'll send me advice on how to double glaze my teeth.

Stuartli 15:49 18 Apr 06

Sorry you've had so much hassle.

Thinking back - it was about seven or eight months ago and one of a number of calls(!) - I seem to recall speaking to a very pleasant lassie in the customer service department.

She fully understood the problem and promised she would sort it out. I got an e-mail to say it was being attended to and the cheque arrived in the post a little while later.

Shows that it's not all bad with Tiscali but, as you are aware, it's certainly not all good either...:-(

Totally-braindead 15:58 18 Apr 06

PRAISE BE. I don't believe it.

I've just tried another speed test and I appear to be getting the 1MB speeds, can this be a sign. Fingers crossed it will stay like this.

Now I've just got to sort out the billing query.

spuds 17:15 18 Apr 06

Just keep a check on your speed for the next few days. I had a similar upgrade problem, and fair dues to Tiscali, the upgrade was dealt with as an urgency, and as been running true since.

Regarding the billing situation, give them a week or so, then contact the billing department direct (Milton Keynes).

ened 17:18 18 Apr 06

Just out of curiosity what are your latest results?

Totally-braindead 17:25 18 Apr 06

Hi ened 920-980 it seems to be but we're not in the peak time yet, I think I'll see what it says after 6pm.

I'm ticking this as resolved as I've just received an email from Tiscali. They say because the slowest speed they now do is the 1mb service at £14.99 and thats what I'm on they will not refund for the months I've been on 256k. But they have credited my account with £5 as a goodwill gesture so I suppose thats something.

I must say I'm amazed at Tiscali this time. After all the hassle I had just trying to get them to take the money they go and sort out 2 things the same day, first they sort my connection then give me a fiver. My luck must be in, now where did I put my lottery ticket?

Stuartli 17:37 18 Apr 06

When you have got your refund, try ringing Tiscali's broadband support number and requesting a MAC code.

They'll probably ask why you want it (mention TalkTalk!) and are very likely to make you an upgrade offer...:-)

Totally-braindead 17:53 18 Apr 06

I might consider that and thank you for the idea.
As a matter of fact I ended up getting one of my friends BB connected at a discounted rate after a posting in one of the Forums here a year or two ago by the same method.
He was on dial up at the time and the advice given was to phone your internet provider asking how to cancel the dial up connection, how long to give notice etc. Of course they asked why he wanted to cancel. Because I want broadband he said but you are too expensive. They cut £2 a month off his broadband package and hes still with them.

dumb_haddik 18:00 18 Apr 06

i have tiscali too, and it claims (on the windows xp connecting bubble) `Tiscali Broadband is connected at 2.2Mbps.` my friends computer on the 512k service runs faster.

where can i take this speed test?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…