Tiny Warranty, Time and First National Finance

nodrog2 21:04 16 Sep 03

I recently had to make use of my Tiny warranty by having my PC returned to Time for repair (Time having taken over all Tiny warranties which had been funded through a finance agreement with First National Finance).

My Tiny warranty gave on-site cover, however, Time would not provide that service and the PC had to be returned to the factory for repair.

Time charged me £59.99 for carriage and advised me to make a claim to First National Finance for a refund of that charge in terms of Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 on the basis that they had joint and several liability for any misrepresentation or breach of contract that would have been the responsibility of Tiny (had they still been trading).

First National have now refused to refund the charge.

My question is - has anyone else came across this problem and, if so, how was it resolved?

spuds 19:47 17 Sep 03

How much time was left on the replacement warranty.What were the terms and conditions of the replacement warranty.Had the bank 'sold on' the previous Tiny warranty to Time.I know Time was advicing people to contact credit card companies and other financial institutes at one time.

The reason that I ask the above questions, is because I was involved in using the above Act.In my case, it was Tempo who went bust, leaving many people in a similar Tiny/Time situation.Initially the bank refused to except liability, but when it was plainly put to them, about their responsibility under the above Act. The computer was repaired via the loan bank, under the terms of the above act. They paid for everything. The Tempo warranty was then sold on to PC World and their 'ring-fenced' repair company. From a given date, when all the legal paperwork was completed, PCW took full control of all aspect of the warranty.And the bank was released from their obligations.

This can be a case of small print reading, and I would advice that you seek help from trading standards, or if you have a home insurance legal cover, then consult them.

MungoJerry 04:41 19 Oct 03

Time seem to be working as the agents for the Finance company with regard to the Tiny situation, from things that have been in the papers and their appearance on Watchdog, they appear to be carring out the repairs as they are authorised to, you need to look into whether that includes your carriage or not the Finance company would be the people to tell you that, also in many "warrantys" "insurance" packages there is a clause that you pay (like car insurance) the first X amoung of any claim against it.

spuds 11:55 19 Oct 03

It appears as though nodrog2 as placed a question, then not responded any further.Would be nice to know the outcome?.

nodrog2 12:14 19 Oct 03

My "battle" with First National continues. I hope to bring this to a conclusion in the not too distant future............

nodrog2 15:45 02 Dec 03

Success at last. After 3 months of correspondence (including a letter to the Chief Executive), I have finally received a refund of £59.99 from First National. My advice to anyone else who finds themselves in a similar position is to keep at it and don't take no for an answer.

Time have repaired my computer and First National have refunded the charges made by Time. Everything is back to normal once more!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…