Time/original CDs

Keith 12:48 21 Apr 03

Can anybody please advise: when purchasing a PC from Time, do you get the original Win XP CD, or a recovery CD, or both. Thanks, Keith

Rayuk 13:42 21 Apr 03

As far as I know neither unless of course you pay for one which is about £50

Azzy 15:06 21 Apr 03

u dont, im using one now and they dont give u ann original cd and rayuk is right the recovery disk comes with it onlyif u pay the £60 bill which is ridiculous. They only give u the drivers disk.

Bapou 16:29 21 Apr 03

click here

Look for Forum Editor's advice

Keith 17:39 21 Apr 03

The fact that Time do not supply the Win XP CD and even charge £60 for a Recovery disk is utterly outrageous and I will most certainly never go near them now. It is not a question of legality. Without the CD and any recovery files in a disk partition, if the HDD goes pear-shaped you're stuffed. Not to mention that the said partition diminishes the available disk capacity.

This, combined with the dreadful stories I have read regarding customer support, leaves me puzzled that anybody would use them.

Thanks for your responses and saving me a load of grief!

Keith

johnnie_mcdougall 18:17 21 Apr 03

I wouldnt go near this bunch of sharks with a barge pole. I purchased a laptop with their "gold" cover, they hve still failed to repair it, and the last time it was in for repair they only gave me one battery back, when i had shipped it with two.

Time Group - Chris 09:48 22 Apr 03

We have implemented our reload disk policy because of the reasons I have outlined below. I hope this makes sense and if you have any issues please feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]

johnnie_mcdougall - please send me your details (name, postcode, account number) if you would like me to arrange a repair for you. Also if you have any documentation which shows that 2 batteries were sent to us I will make sure that your other battery is returned.

Cheers - Chris

TIME GROUP RELOAD DISK POLICY
Changes in our mutual agreement with Microsoft to reduce piracy mean that the Time Group now pre-installs the OEM version of Windows onto its computers but cannot supply a separate Windows ME/XP recovery CD (this is only available to those who purchase the full retail version of Windows).

The Time Group understands that some customers may require a facility to easily restore their computers back to the original factory settings by completely reloading all of the pre-installed software.

Over the past year, we have invested in a software development team that has developed a patented process of doing this from a completely hidden partition on the hard disk. This process is unique and the facility is enabled via a RELOAD CD that is bundled FREE with all time support packages. The reload CD does not include any Windows XP software programs and is different to a Backup CD (which includes a copy of the preloaded software including Windows XP).

One of the advantages of this reload CD approach is that, because there is no Windows software on the CD itself, the risk of piracy is eliminated. The CD simply includes software that enables the hidden software on the hard disk to be re-installed. The old Backup CD mechanism limits the software bundle size to just what could be restored by one CD and is more prone to piracy. For example, a backup CD can be used to install a pirate copy of Windows on the same make of PC even when it is encrypted.

The CD is available to purchase when a support package is not taken and we hope to build additional features into this product in the future. Over 85% of our customers take up some sort of support package. Some of the revenue from the support packs and reload CD are put back into further software and product development.

Overall we feel the benefits of this reload system are sufficient to justify this cost, whilst at the same time allowing us to work with Microsoft to reduce the risk of Piracy. Using our re-load CD it is impossible to copy Windows XP onto any other PC. It is also important to note that over 85% of our customers get this facility free when they buy a support package.

So, do I take it that Time in Conjunction with Microsoft acknowledge that the Product Activation feature of Windows XP does nothing to prevent software piracy? You say:

"Changes in our mutual agreement with Microsoft to reduce piracy..."

"because there is no Windows software on the CD itself, the risk of piracy is eliminated..."

"For example, a backup CD can be used to install a pirate copy of Windows on the same make of PC even when it is encrypted.."

"the benefits of this reload system are sufficient to justify this cost, whilst at the same time allowing us to work with Microsoft to reduce the risk of Piracy...."

"Using our re-load CD it is impossible to copy Windows XP onto any other PC.."

The above would indicate that the Activation feature os flawed and that XP Cd's are just as easily installed on several machines at the same time as older software?

I dont think so, rather is it not to do with the fact that Time are charged a significant amount Less by Microsoft for each copy of Windows XP sold in this way and therefore is a measure designed to increase profit margins only?

Either Product Activation works, in which case piracy is not the issue, or it does not, in which case I am sure a lot more of us would have heard of a piracy problem with XP!

Offline 10:30 22 Apr 03

Time are not alone in not supplying a Windows XP disk, also good to see thy are avid watchers of the forum.

Offline 10:35 22 Apr 03

Keith, from my point of view you had already made your mind up about Time before posting, for intance in your second post >(This, combined with the dreadful stories I have read regarding customer support, leaves me puzzled that anybody would use them.)<. Was this just a pull Time down post or had you any real intention of purchasing from them.

HawkeyePierce 11:58 22 Apr 03

As mentioned above a 40GB HDD will be severley depleted by a fully loaded OS and all the other programs supplied by Time. I bought a PC from them 3 1/2 years ago. 13GB HDD at the time. At that time a reload CD AND the original OS were supplied which made things easier. However, on arrival the 13GB HD had only 5GB free it was that crammed with programs. Every Prog was supplied with original disks, but every prog was pre-installed too.

If I used the Reload disk to restore the image, I was back to loads of useless progs I didn't need cluttering my PC and had to manually uninstall them. Gave up in the end and formatted the disk and restored using the OS.

Also, what happens if the HDD packs up? Which these days is not unheard of. Or a Virus requiring HD formatting? You're left with a PC but no OS to put on it. Returning the PC to manufacturer leaves you without a PC for anything from 3 days to 3 months (not aimed at any particualr manufacturer that one)

As a personal note I think that an OS should ALWAYS be supplied with a PC. Too many things can go wrong to rely on a hidden partition only for recovery. At the VERY least the recovery CD should be supplied with any purchase of a PC, not just when a grossly overpriced support package is taken or it is bought seperately for an equally silly price.

I know Time are a simple way of getting on the PC ladder with the bundles they supply (PC, Scanner, Printer, Camera etc), but personally I'd now always build my own or go to a PC Fair / small shop andhave one built up and buy the OS seperately. I know it works out expensive to buy the OS but at least you have the peace of mind of knowing you can put your OWN choice of programs on your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…