A timeley reminder

Noticed today that one of my smoke alarms was indicating it wanted a new battery so here is a reminder that with lights or candles on your christmas trees and with all those prezzies under it please don't neglect your smoke alarms. If you haven't got one, then get one as they only cost a few pounds but can save a lot of grief. Heres hoping you have a super christmas and a prosperous new year.

ajm 15:10 20 Dec 03

same thing happened in my flat today morning....

Stuartli 17:54 20 Dec 03

Re a timely warning - the first time one of my two smoke alarms provided the warning, we searched high and low for the source of the weird screeching sound; even the dog was going bananas.

Jester2K II 17:57 20 Dec 03

I once spent 3 days trying to trace the intermittent beep in my house. (Even threw all the trip switches but that didn't stop it)

Eventually found it was the low battery warning in the smoke alarm!!!!

As they say "Test once a month, replace once a year"

If (like me) you've ever had a small house fire and a smoke alarm has alerted you, you'll never forget to check them again....

BeeWee 11:17 21 Dec 03

if you get in touch with your local fire service they will fit free smoke alarms for anyone!

Stuartli 11:38 21 Dec 03

How do you think I got mine three or four years ago...:-))

The firemen, many of whom I knew anyway, even did a proper check of the property to warn of any potential fire hazards.

To top that the fire service will also fit free replacement batteries when required, but we've decided that's just being mean and buy our own.

However, it gives them something to do as fire calls are pretty infequent in the resort where I live.

Sir Radfordin 12:22 21 Dec 03

Much simpler rent a multi-occupancy house on 3 floors and you get smoke detecotrs, heat sensors, fire alarms that would wake the dead, break glass boxes, fire extinsgishers...ah the joys of students houses!

oresome 12:55 21 Dec 03

The annoying thing with the low battery alert is that it invariably starts in the middle of the night. The reason being that the house is at it's coldest adversely affecting the battery voltage. Also have one in the caravan which is falsely triggered by condensation. We were not popular with the neighbours when leaving early one morning with the caravan on tow and the fire alarm screeching away.

Jester2K II 13:29 21 Dec 03

I lived in two houses in Middlesbrough on 3 floors the first had the lot - fire doors, illuminated emergency signs and lights, smashy boxes, and a stair well window that flies open when you have a fire...

The second had a knackered old fire blanket that had been used for who knows what!!!

Indeed the joys of student houses....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…