TIME / TINY unacceptable service! no parts

I bought a Laptop from Tiny Direct online a while ago, with no extended warranty. On the 13th month, my Tiny Laptop ceased to operate [December 2002]! This was caused by cooling fan fault within the laptop.
I contacted the Tiny Technical support who sent me a faulty fanplate which was everything around the fan, but NOT the cooling fan!!!

I continually contacted Tiny about the wrong part and about the Cooling Fan which I required. I have been contacting Tiny regularly since the problems started and 7 months later, I still do not have a replacement cooling fan.

One of the staff replied saying that the manager said that "Laptop parts are not supplied to customers". Regarding this reply, I was confused because why did they supply me with the faulty fanplate before however refuse to send me the correct parts now?

In this event, we've spent:
a) 7 months without a computer to use
b) Around £100 of telephone bills to Tiny

Is this fair trade? Can anybody help solve this?

Thanks, Kin Wong

Gaz 25 17:45 25 Jul 03

but NOT the cooling fan!!!

I would not trust sending it away to them for a minor thing like that, but one and fit it for a few quid, I get a Cooling fan for up to a 3000+ processor for just £4, maybe a little more expensive a retail stores.

In this event, we've spent: a) 7 months without a computer to use b) Around £100 of telephone bills to Tiny

I know the fealing, I spent that too.

I worked out they earn millions every year for people on support.

Look you are one customer that has spent money on calls, there are others too. Look at the money! They are earning a minter!

Is this fair trade? No, you should at least get a system back that works within a month!

Can anybody help solve this? You best get on to the DTI, it the only way you will get anywhere.

Thats the only way I got my refund on a dead system.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gareth

bremner 17:56 25 Jul 03

Kin you chose not to take out a warranty beyond the basic 12 months, it has now gone wrong when that 12 months has expired. Que sera.
Surely a visit to a local repair shop would have had it fixed within days and cost a small amount.

Thank you for your advice Gareth. I am contacting DTI now.

Unfortunately, buying a fan for a Laptop is not that simple. They seem to be made custom fit to the companies design which means I cannot buy it from any store that I know, apart from Tiny/Time.

Thank you once again for your help.

regards, Kin Wong

I tried!!! The local computer repair shops said they don't repair laptops. When I visited the nearest Tiny Store, the saleperson told me to go to Maplin, which I thought was unprofessional and since the product was from them.

So what seems to be simple, is in fact not. Which is a shame.

Thanks, Kin WOng

jnevill 18:34 25 Jul 03

It has long been a myth in British culture that purchased goods only have to survive for 12 months. A guarantee or warranty issued by the supplier/manufacturer is only truely valid if a) it is paid for, and b)for the time it specifies. The law on the otherhand is clear - goods should last for a 'reasonable time' - the definition of reasonable depending upon the nature of the goods. Is it reasonable that the fan shall fail after 13 months? Probably not. You should write to the supplier stating that they have failed, under the Sale of Goods Act, to supply goods of satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose for which they were designed. If they still refuse to assist consider approaching your local trading standards and making a formal complaint. You could try sueing them through the small claims procedure but given the small amount for a replacement part you may decide this is not cost effective. On a final point - did you pay for the computer with a credit card? If so the credit supplier are equally liable - contact them immediately.

John

Magik ®© 18:42 25 Jul 03

at least this site has loads of members and when they read the story, and decide to buy a PC, need i say more..............
I can not see the fan costing that amount of money to be rewound if it is direct drive and brushless, or repaired by an independant firm..

Forum Editor 18:45 25 Jul 03

and on the face of it this is a fairly straightforward issue. The cooling fan should, in my opinion have lasted for longer than 13 months, and I believe it is 'reasonable' to expect it to do so.

As jnevill says, it's a myth that your rights evaporate when the manufacturer's warranty expires - your statutory rights may well provide you with more protection than that, although each case is taken on its merits - there's no fixed period defined in law.

Do NOT contact the Department of Trade and Industry - it's the Trading Standards Office that you want, and before you go to see them I suggect that you do exactly what jnevill recommended - write to the company and make your case. Don't make threats of small claims court action at this stage - that shouldn't be necessary.

bremner 18:51 25 Jul 03

click here

for the DTI page explaining your rights

Thank you John for your reply. I will try to contact the suppliers. Thank you.

H-J 17:52 26 Jul 03

these machines are not custom made for the manufacturers. you probably have something like a mitac machine that has been customised by addition of memory, size of hdd, type of optical drive etc. I suggest you have another go at identifying the machine and contacting the manufacturers (NOT the vendors) for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…