TIME coming back - Good or bad thing?

Laurence Tureaud 21:49 09 Mar 06

Sorry to bring up the whole Time Computers subject again but I've been a long time lurker and have never felt the need to post a message to this group.

There's been a lot of debate as to whether the return of TIME is a good or bad thing, in my opinion it can only be a good thing.

Fair enough, a lot of people in here have had their fingers burnt, and I wouldn't expect them to forgive and forget so easily but one important thing to point out about TIME was that they really helped to drive down the cost of PCs to the level they are now at.

PCs are no longer an exclusive expensive item that they once were, and companies like TIME (amongst others like Gateway, Evesham etc..) helped to do this by working for very low margins.

Unfortunately to get better customer service, you have to pay enough to fund the costs of extra staff - If TIME had loaded all their prices by £50 then they could probably have had the best service and customer team in the industry but who would have paid the cost for a PC?

I have had a TIME PC for many years and it's never caused me a single problem, so I'm only judging the company based on my experiences, I've never had to ring them or have been put on hold for 30 minutes but can sympathise with those who have.

It's not all bad, I know Daniel Warren has been very active on this and other forums but I feel that TIME should have had a more visible prescence as at times it appeared like he was the only one there. (Maybe he was actually running the place, if he wasn't then maybe he should be when they come back!)

Apologies again for bringing up TIME but I just wanted to add my 2p to the whole debate, if you don't like them then fine, don't buy from them. But at least realise that the next PC you buy from Dell or wherever may just be cheaper because of the increased competition, and that can only be a good thing.

Cheers

Laurence

Harpur 22:57 09 Mar 06

from my experience from all the posts issued during the last throes of time/tiny he was the only guiding light and really seems to have the rough end of the stick. i wonder what happened to him.

daniel if you are out there let us know what you are at.

Stuartli 23:54 09 Mar 06

>>was that they really helped to drive down the cost of PCs to the level they are now at.>>

I would take issue with that. Time was just one of many, many system builders in the UK and competition has always been keen.

In fact it's the keeness of the prices that often means a company will go under, as not enough profit is being made to hang on through bad times as well as the good.

SG Atlantis® 23:59 09 Mar 06

there was a big thread on this recently Daniel was a contributor on it, I'll see if I can search for it.

SG Atlantis® 00:00 10 Mar 06
  grumpygramp 15:10 10 Mar 06

Times` advert in the May issue of PC Advisor looks pretty good .

acsmanhtml12 08:07 11 Mar 06

Depends wether they carry on the warranty from an old Time PC. Been loking back at some of there advertising videos, is it any wonder they went out of business.

Harpur 22:18 11 Mar 06

i read the link and daniel has missed his calling. he should have been a consumer rights activist. he definately knows his facts and puts up a very compelling argument in defense of his old company.

SG Atlantis® 22:20 11 Mar 06

they will click here

SG Atlantis® 22:22 11 Mar 06

You think so? He seems to know his stuff.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an open mind and when I come to get a new system end of the year, they'll have been trading for a while. If they offer what I want, I might just take it.

SG A

WhiteTruckMan 21:18 12 Mar 06

If you had an extended warranty part of that cost was for support as you were provided with a non-premium phone number.

If you didnt fall for the extended warranty then you ended up paying in the cost of the phone call itself.

If time management got their sums wrong in these calculations, whose fault was that?

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…