for those who use pay- pal

jack 10:49 05 Dec 04

For those of our subscribers who make "safe" purchases from internet
websites and affect payment via PayPal, said to be a 'secure' form of
credit card payment, the event described below may be of interest.

I received an e-mail this afternoon, correctly addressed with the
Subject line reading : "your PayPal account could be suspended"

I have used PayPal only on one or two occasions and not in the recent
past. I therefore felt uneasy and decided to check with Google by
entering the subject line "your PayPal account could be suspended"

The first line at the top of the Google page directed me to

click here

and showed that my suspicions fully justified.

As a result of this experience I immediately closed my PayPal account.
--------------------------------------------------------

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:26 05 Dec 04

The Big 4 banks have had similar scams....will you be closing your bank accounts as well?

G

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:54 05 Dec 04

It can't be said enough times - never give passwords or account details requested by e-mails - they are ALWAYS bogus. Ebay, Paypal and others stress all the time not to respond to these requests however genuine they appear.

Forum Editor 12:13 05 Dec 04

for closing your Paypal account, simply because someone decided to send you a phishing email. It happens all the time, and there's absolutely nothing PayPal can do about it, other than issue repeated warnings - which they have, on many occasions.

Pretty well every major financial institution and all online auction companies have had to contend with this kind of thing, and if everyone closed their accounts simply because a criminal tried to get their details the banks would all be out of business.

Hamish 12:34 05 Dec 04

Fully agree with the FE but you can change your Passwords in ebay, paypal and banks accounts as often as you wish

Totally-braindead 15:13 05 Dec 04

I've had a few similar emails "your Ebay account will be suspended" or "you Paypal account needs to be verified...." I just ignore them. The only thing I have done when I receive one of these phishing emails is I've changed my account details(password and login details). As the others have said closing your account is perhaps a bit extreme. Its not Paypals fault that people are doing this after all.

vaughan007 15:35 05 Dec 04

at one of the top 4 UK banks said on a well known national tv show that he would never have an internet bank account due to the security issues.

A bit of a blunder on his part I reckon as I am sure it must have lost them customers, but does it tell you anything that he said that in the first place? lol.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:45 05 Dec 04

'The guy in control of internet account security
at one of the top 4 UK banks said on a well known national tv show that he would never have an internet bank account due to the security issues'....and Blair said that there were WMDs.

I do all my banking on the Net and accept that there are some Luddites around that suffer from utter paranoia. People tend to forget that there were plenty of banking scams around before Internet. Short memories and over-hyped newspapers.

G

fourjays 16:43 05 Dec 04

I get emails from 'eBay' like that almost everyday. I just forward them to [email protected], who reply telling me that they are spoofs, and saying that if I entered any info into the forms on the email, I should change my password.

I am sure Paypal will have a similar address to forward such emails (seeming as ebay and paypal are the same company).

As long as you haven't entered any info into links given on the emails, your account should be pretty safe.

vaughan007 18:14 05 Dec 04

So, Gandalf, there are no security issues with online banking and similar sorts of things then?

Or are you simply saying the security issues are not as important as some people think?

"People tend to forget that there were plenty of banking scams around before Internet."

Usually involving guns. lol.

vaughan007 18:29 05 Dec 04

"The guy in control of internet account security
at one of the top 4 UK banks said on a well known national tv show that he would never have an internet bank account due to the security issues."

The man who said this set up the online security systems of at least one very large multi-national bank. Basically, he was saying he didn't trust his own systems enough to invest his own money to be protected by that system.

For all you know, he might have set the systems up at a bank where your money is.

Think of it like this...

If a mechanic fixed the brakes on your car and said he didn't trust the brakes enough to drive it himself...would you drive it?...I wonder...

I dont think being aware or uneasy about itnernet security makes anybody a luddite. Anybody who does their banking or other transactions online needs to be aware of the security issues. Anybody who takes internet banking security for granted is just stupid. The over cautious person has a lower chance of getting scammed than the over confident one.

People only appear luddites because they dont understand the internet and the technology involved. It takes time for the majority of people to embrace new and different technolgies. Everyone, more or less, is guilty of it in someway.

And comments like this one...

"I do all my banking on the Net and accept that there are some Luddites around that suffer from utter paranoia. People tend to forget that there were plenty of banking scams around before Internet. Short memories and over-hyped newspapers."

Will do nothing to change their mindset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…