//some 3rd party need geo

Thinking of networking using plug sockets

computernerdiamnot 16:02 22 Apr 04

Does anyone now if this type of networking is any good. i was going to network my two sons computer together and was looking at this option as it involves just plugging in to a usb and the mains plug rather than investing in cables ect ect ect or buying a router and cards.

Forum Editor 18:12 22 Apr 04

You can't connect anything by "just plugging in to a usb and the mains plug " - where did you get that information from?

Apart from being illegal under The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations of 2002 it would result in both you and the computers being fried.

Many attempts (so far unsuccessful) have been made to develop a technology for distributing broadband internet services via mains electricity cables, but the technical problems - mainly associated with radio interference - are immense.

Don't, under any circumstances, connect any form of computer networking component directly to the ring main in your house - unless the component has been specifically designed for the purpose.

Forum Editor 18:22 22 Apr 04

by a colleague, who tells me that you can indeed buy Powerline networking adapters which plug into the house mains supply.

I've never seen one working, and (until just now) didn't know they existed. My colleague tells me that she has only seen one network running like this, and it wasn't particularly successful. She says the USB/mains adapters are expensive compared to wireless network adapters, and she sees no real advantage in using them.

My apologies for misinforming you - having learnt a little more I still don't think we'll be seeing this technology sweeping the board though.

Forum Editor 18:25 22 Apr 04

here's a link that the same colleague has provided for me - it shows Powerline network hardware.

click here

computernerdiamnot 20:09 22 Apr 04

Well you learn something every day they have been around for a bit but packard bell are doing a set of two plugs for £99 and connects at 14mbs it was rated quite good in the web user mag look here click here

the real Ali G 20:46 22 Apr 04

I think you should consider using a couple of wireless usb adaptors which are available for about £20 each. I'm no wizz kid when it comes to networking but I don't think you need a router just one of these adaptors for each machine. Perhaps someone else can confirm this is all you need. If so, Linksys appear to do the cheapest. The model number is USB200M. Have a look on some of the well known computer equipment sites or try the link below (Novatech). If you get no joy from the forum just phone Novatech and they will advise you. They are very helpfull.
click here

Longinus 20:58 22 Apr 04

Is this what you had in mind? click here

Sounds ok and it would make home networking a lot easier.I may get one myself.What do the forum users think?

TomJerry 23:48 22 Apr 04

Method 1: peer to peer network
Get two wireless usb stick £17.50 each click here

Method 2: Proper wireless with a router £64.98 for whole set click here

Method 3: if two pc site very close
Link two PCs through usb use a datalink cable £7.98 click here

TomJerry 23:50 22 Apr 04

if two PCs are far, get usb repeater cable £5.87 click here

computernerdiamnot 01:11 23 Apr 04

Just what i mean, because my sons are 9 and 4 both have my hand me downs and i was just looking at a quick way rather than installing network cards and cable as such, back about 3 to 4 years ago this method of using the elecy cables were talked about i did not think anymore of it until i saw the product advertised today. I mean just buy a pack plug it like the kettle andjust wait for the computers to talk, if life was just like that would'nt it be great. i would like to thank the others for thier imput and will take the suggestions aboard.

computernerdiamnot 01:18 23 Apr 04

The link you gave tomjerry for the usb stick looks good but 11mbs can i justify 2mbs for a few quid mmmmmmmmmmmmm and the computers are to far away to use a datalink cable, but just imagine soon or later with development what will this method of using the elecy circuit, this is what i find amazing with technology just look at broadband from dial up on a normal telephone line the foundations have been laid and for technology to build on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…